• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"What does my intelligence tell me?"

transcendation

First Post
"What does my intelligence tell me?"

I hear this all to often in my role-playing sessions. The PCs have got it in their head that their intel gives them free access to the answers to my campaigns mysteries.

How do you apply intelligence rolls in your campaign?

transcendation

Zad

First Post
We don't. Or at least not like that.

Int checks are great for seeing if your character remembered something (especially if it was something not done in the session, like something he learned in school where a skill check doesn't apply). But more often than not, a skill check is more appropriate.

"Can I use this spell in an odd way to do this thing?"

That's more like a spellcraft check, or maybe knowledge (arcana).

Can you give some examples of what they're trying to use it for? My instinct is to say "it doesn't work that way" but I feel I should ask more first.

Corsair

First Post
The problem is when a 10 int, 10 wis player is trying to play a 26 int or 26 wis caster at mid-high levels. Invariably, they will eventually encounter a situation where the player will either not have the knowledge that his character would have, or would make a poor choice that no 26 wisdom character would ever do.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"Your epic mind searches back through its vast catalog of memories. Ah-ha! You think you recall someone mentioning a book about two years ago. The book was written by a certain professor who died under mysterious circumstances, as is typical of authors in those days, but what caught your attention was that the author's right forearm was said to carry a tattoo of a striped bass. This meant nothing until today, when your genius intellect discovered the resemblance between that tattoo -- which you can picture perfectly -- and the Wand of Orcus. Now, if only you had that book, it might give more clues..."

Int check gives you a free plot hook. Possibly including a silly fish.

Cheers, -- N

werk

First Post
Derren said:
Int alone should tell you nothing. What should be used a appropriate knowledge checks.

Ditto this. Knowledge skills tell the player what the character knows, and if he didn't invest in those knowledge skills...he don't know much regardless of how smart he is.

Sunfist

First Post
What do you guys think about players using Int to solve a puzzle? Or to solve a riddle? If my player has an IQ of 95 but his wizard has an Int of 22, his wizard should be better and puzzle and riddle solving than he is.

edit: Not that I'm implying any of my players have an iQ of 95!!!

Zad

First Post
Sunfist said:
What do you guys think about players using Int to solve a puzzle? Or to solve a riddle? If my player has an IQ of 95 but his wizard has an Int of 22, his wizard should be better and puzzle and riddle solving than he is.

Maybe.

Here's the thing: a puzzle is usually designed to be something fun and challenging for the players. The players. If, upon finding said puzzle, they roll and int check and move on, then there was hardly a point in having it there.

Further, I seriously doubt you designed a puzzle to be a challenge to the Int 22 person. I would imagine the puzzle was "dumbed down" if you'll pardon the expression, so that it presented a similar challenge to your players as a tough puzzle would to an Int 22 person.

All that said, if a particular puzzle isn't fun, then move on by any mechanic you like. For example: the party finds the puzzle, works on it for 10 minutes, gets bogged down and can't figure it out. Maybe it's late, maybe everyone's tired, maybe they misread a key piece of information, whatever. But it stopped being fun, and fun is what we're here for. At that point, an int check for a hint is perfectly fine, IMHO. At that moment, advancing the game is more important than strict adherance to mechanics. But would I let them roll an int check immediately on finding the puzzle? No.

Stalker0

Legend
With a high int check, I'll give clues to the puzzle. That way the player still has to figure it out, but with a really high check he'll accomplish it fairly easily....which is exactly the experience a character with a genius intelligence would likely have.

James McMurray

First Post
Sunfist said:

I allow it, but I give extra XP if the players solve it on their own. I also avoid most puzzles like the plague, since it's rare to find one that's solvable without third party information but still fits the situation. Why, for instance, would the wizard write the password above the magical portal in code when he could just use his first familiar's name or wife's social security number?

Remove ads