what does Orc+Elf equal?

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Story-wise... if the child is a bastard between this Warlock and a halfork prisoner... that probably means the babe was raised by the Warlock (or at least by someone in the Warlock's circle). She seems powerful and willful enough that *if* she took liberties with prisoners, and *if* she got empregnated by them and actually took the baby to term... she wouldn't just dump it altogether. She'd keep the bastard somewhere within her sphere of influence. Maybe she doesn't raise the baby directly, but she also doesn't let it leave her auspices. If she wanted it enough to go through the entire birth process, I don't see her dumping it at the first opportunity.

So this means that this bastard child has been raised under the auspices of a drow/high elf Warlock, so I would imagine it grew up surrounded by more elvish influences and learning than any human or orc. So the drow/elvish half of the quarter-breed would have dominance (in personality at the very least). The babe would probably be bigger and slighter stronger than your typical drow or elf due to its human/orc side... but that might only show up superficially in other ways. Skin perhaps a bit ruddier, ears slightly rounder, more impatient and quicker to anger than a normal longer-living drow or elf. But for the most part... the character comes off more drow/elvish than anything.

Mechanics-wise... you probably can start with the basic high elf and then tweak it slightly to indicate its drow, human, and orc influences. Perhaps prefer crossbows over longbows. Give a -1 to Charisma and a +1 to Con on top of the normal high elf racial bonuses. Stick with low-light vision (or the campaign equivalent.) Other than that... the character is such a mixed breed that you probably are best off just using one primary set of racial traits and subsume the other races into the personality and story, rather than the mechanics. You don't want it to mechanically become too much of a ridiculous mish-mash.

well first story wise the ship I will be on belongs to an old asset of my 'mothers' (remember thirty+ years of playing everything is connected) so Story wise I would have been Raised in the underdark city she fights for control of (3 major factions not counting PC involvement) and be 'interning' on the ship perfecting my skills to be a more useful weapon later...

mechanic wise there are multi class combo and level caps to consider. I am about to go to bed but I am hopeing tomorrow night I will have some time to post my idea...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With a name like "dwark", how can you not be cheesy? Of course, the other choice is probably "Orf".

But then, the elf + ork names are either "olf" (because orf is already for the dwarf-orc, and "orlf" just sounds like you're choking) "erk" (well, that's the sound the parents make when they first see the child...) or "elk".

That's it! Breed an orc and an elf, and you get a quadruped with antlers! That's why they don't interbreed!

There's also always the 'elfork'. L-Fork would be its rapper nickname.

In my campaign:
-- Elves & half-elves v. half-orcs & orcs can't interbreed. It's a rule of the universe. (The creations of enemy gods.)
-- Dwarves interbreed with no one. Ditto on Gnomes.
-- Goblinoids can presumably interbreed, but you'd likely just get more of the weaker version, as in goblin + hobgoblin = goblin, goblin + bugbear = goblin. Can goblinoids interbreed with orcs? Probably. Can trolls or ogres interbreed with others? Nope.
-- Halflings are actual the middle ground -- Tallfellows are part elvish, Stouts part Dwarvish, and Hairfoots part gnome. Presumably they can mix with human too, resulting in short humans? Probably can't mix with orcs.
-- Mongrelmen, who can explain their origin, but they do exist. Magical experiments? Magic runoff contaminating the drinking water?
-- There is no such thing as half-dragons. Polymorph doesn't make it possible. It's just another rule of the universe, as in the DM finds the concept annoying. :)

In this situation of an old, old campaign going aquatic, I'd go for something different . . . I've always wanted a selkie PC, and she could claim to be something else, as they are shapechangers.

Shiroiken

Legend
As I said if I had a player who wanted to play this I would find away. As a DM I control the NPCs and there are plenty of ways of handling it without slaying the PC on sight.
*Shrug*
You run things your way, and I run things mine. There may be other ways to handle it, but it would not be internally consistent with my game world. By being consistent, my players know what to expect from me and my game, so no one would actually ask in the first place.

Elf Witch

First Post
With a name like "dwark", how can you not be cheesy? Of course, the other choice is probably "Orf".

But then, the elf + ork names are either "olf" (because orf is already for the dwarf-orc, and "orlf" just sounds like you're choking) "erk" (well, that's the sound the parents make when they first see the child...) or "elk".

That's it! Breed an orc and an elf, and you get a quadruped with antlers! That's why they don't interbreed!

LOL that is an amusing idea elves with antlers.

The name may be cheesy but I think the concept of a half dwarf half orc who have the stubbornness and hardiness of dwarves combined with the strength and brutality of orcs makes an awesome group of bad guys.

I have been playing around with the idea of captive female orcs being bred with male drow and then raised and trained as a group of brutal shock troops to unleash on the surface elves. Psychologically it would be a great weapon in of itself.

Elf Witch

First Post
*Shrug*
You run things your way, and I run things mine. There may be other ways to handle it, but it would not be internally consistent with my game world. By being consistent, my players know what to expect from me and my game, so no one would actually ask in the first place.

I am not making a judgement on how you run your game or your game world.

It is just I have a hard time believing a race of enlightened chaotic good elves would murder in cold blood another sentient being who is not evil based on their birth. It is not like they asked to be born. So for my world it would not make sense just to slaughter this creature out of hand. Not want the creature around and force them out of their territory I can see.

I am all for DMs restricting things that make sense for their world. But I am also for trying to accommodate players wishes when you can.

One of my favorite characters I ever played was a succubus who wanted to be good and was seeking redemption. A lot of DMs would say no they are always evil but the DM in the game was very open minded and was willing to try and allow off the beaten path PCs to a certain extent.

I'd go elf + orc is nonviable, Corellon and Gruumsh being hated enemies.

Using D&D Mendelian pseudo-genetics, though, half-elf + half orc yields half-elf, half-orc, or full human. Half-elf + orc yields half-orc. Half orc + elf yields half-elf.

MJS

First Post
I would just have this PC be a unique creature, resultant of a perverted wizard's experiments. Roll 4d6, drop low for stats, arrange as desired, +2 STR, -1 INT, -1 CHA. Full infravision, 1/2 elf abilities -

Remove ads