• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Does The Blackguard Do When...

LuYangShih

First Post
Alright, here's the scenario:

The Blackguard has been assigned to invade a neighboring kingdom. During the invasion of the capital city, he receives word that the enemy King has rescued his two worst enemies, his daughter and his former companion in the Paladin Order, from his dungeons. Of course, this only makes the Blackguard butcher the remaining resistance forces all the faster.

Entering the city, he heads alone to the throne room as his troops secure the city and the rest of the palace. The Blackguard rushes in, and breaks down the door. Inside, is the epic level Cleric King, who is just about to complete a ritual that will open the gates of heaven and unleash a wave of celestials upon his enemy troops. To one side is his former compatriot, and on the other is his daughter.

The portal opens wide, and he realizes he must slay one of the three to end the spell. From previous experience, he knows he will only have a moment to escape from the room after he does so, as the portal will warp and close, but not before pulling anyone in the room into the celestial realm. He realizes he can only kill one of his enemies, and the other two will live out a life of contentment and happiness among the celestials.

What does the Blackguard, who worships a deity of hate, treachery and destruction, do?

Victim

First Post
Go for the daughter, then have your assassins attempt to take out the cleric and your wizard lackies throw up D-anchors on people. With the spell ended, and thus hope for the good guys destroyed, best your former companion in single combat while gloating. If you start to lose, have your assassins take him out. If you do need help, arrange for the deaths of all witnesses later.

Blackguards cheat.

Cedric

First Post
Take out the King, this was obviously his plan...and a very good one. No way the b*st*rd should live to gloat about it with his little winged celestial friends.

Cedric

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Contact his source in among the evil beings, find out how he can get an express one way ticket to Hell or the Abyss. :)

Victim

First Post
Falanor said:
I was thinking about answering this, but Victim put it so succinctly summed up what the Blackgaurd should do...

Actually, now that I think about it, the plan should involve torturing somehow. Go for the capture on the daughter and ex-"friend" - unless they're powerful casters. Keep them under guard, but treat them really well. Except that you should be constantly rubbing the horrors inflicted on their people in their faces. As good guys, they'd probably rather die than see people hurt like that, so don't give them the chance. Also, most people will probably assume they betrayed the cleric king, and thus hate them. After all, if they die, they probably go heaven anyway. So keep them alive but make their life hell.

Turlogh

Explorer
As a self serving guy with a strong sense of self preservation my kill would be one of opportunity. I would kill the one that would most likely enable me to escape the room before being sucked into heaven. Later I would be very pissed off about the two who got the free ride to heaven, but I accomplished my goal- invading the country, stopping the celestial invasion and at least gutted one of my hated foes.

geezerjoe

First Post
I think its obvious that the Blackguard should kill his daughter ... not for any reason other than she was always a whining little snot anyway.

Get the frell out of the room, slamming the door behind you.

Gloat over the fact that the Epic Jerk Cleric is sucked into oblivion along with your oh-so-best buddy so very easily.

Get a brew.

Fill the power vacuum with your unholy might.

l8r

Joe2Old

LuYangShih

First Post
Is cheating really part of a Blackguards modus operandi? I always thought cheating, as in, breaking the accepted rules of battle and combat, would be more of a Law Vs. Chaos conflict. After all, I don't doubt a Chaotic character would happily kill a powerful evil enemy who was dueling the party Paladin one on one, if he saw the opportunity. There's no reason for him to be bound to the "rules", but for Lawful characters, (like Blackguards), that is not true. I don't think that evil characters always have to be without honor.

Victim

First Post
Blackguards don't have to be lawful though. Wasn't the patron diety the god of treachery?

Besides there's really no reason not to attack the enemy strongpoint with backup, unless you "allies" would cause more harm than good. Especially if you don't really care if they die.

Remove ads