• Maneuver/stance progression

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • None of the above. It's fine as is.

Votes: 69 34.7%

Slaved

First Post
Hussar said:
I take it adding a bit of BAB wasn't a good idea? :(

I like the idea but it would not make me choose fighter over some other class.

In a build that absolutely must have certain feats and wants them quickly, the place where the fighter basically shines, I still have a lot of trouble justifying even a single level of fighter. Generally it means a level with no skills and no advancement in 2 out of the 3 saves and no other benefits relative to most other martial classes all for a single fear that must be on a limited list.

If there is any way around taking that level of fighter I will, and that is during one of the fighters better levels as it is a level that actually gives something. I have no idea how to justify taking level 3 of fighter, unless the character absolutely and desperately needs weapon specialization and cannot get something equivalent some other way.

So what does the fighter need off of your list? Likely a little of each of the first four.

RFisher

Explorer
Hussar said:
I take it adding a bit of BAB wasn't a good idea? :(

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I'd be tempted to go the other direction & make sure no other class has +1/level. Didn't C&C do something along those lines?

Here's what I'm thinking, in a campaign where characters get feats every other level, fighters need a bit of a boost. So, I've stolen a few ideas from this thread and the other thread, and sketched the following out. I apologize in advance for mistakes, typos, or confusing language--its just a rough draft. Let me know what you think...

Fighters get a choice of paths at levels 2, 6, 10, 14, and 20. The character has to take the paths in numberical order, but can chose a different path. If the path gives a feat and the character already has that feat, they may chose another feat.

Sentinal I: Listen, Spot become class skills, gain an extra skill point per level (including this one) to be used only for listen or spot
Sentinal II: Blind-fight
Sentinal III: The invisible attacker’s bonuses do not apply for ranged attacks, half miss chance
Sentinal IV: Can target square of invisible opponent within 10ft without needing to guess
Sentinal V: Tremorsense 10ft

Acrobat I: Balance and tumble become class skills, gain extra skill point per level
Acrobat II: Tumble at full speed as part of normal movement (instead of ½ speed)
Acrobat III: If you succeed on a tumble check before an attack, double threat range. If the tumble takes you through the area occupied by the opponent you attack, deal full weapon damage (not extra damage)
Acrobat IV:
Acrobat V: At the begging of a round, make a tumble check. Opponents have a miss chance on attacks against you equal to ½ of the tumble check.

Cavalier I: Knowledge (Nobility) and Diplomacy become class skills, extra skill point
Cavalier II: Mounts chosen by the cavalier are exceptional (max hit points, elite stat array)
Cavalier III: You can make a ride check as saving throw for your mount
Cavalier IV:
Cavalier V: No longer roll damage dice while mounted (or for mount) but use the maximum (still roll crit damage, extra dice, etc)

General I: Knowledge (military) and diplomacy become class skills, extra skill point
General II: Leadership feat, +1 leadership score
General III: double all positive modifiers for reputation
General IV: +2 leadership score, you may have 50% more followers (min +1)
General V: You may have a second cohort, this cohort must be four levels less than you

Tyrant I: Knowledge (military) and bluff become class skills, extra skill point
Tyrant II: Leadership feat, +1 leadership score
Tyrant III: remove all negative modifiers for reputation
Tyrant IV: +2 leadership score, you may have 50% more followers (min +1)
Tyrant V: You may have a second cohort, this cohort must be four levels less than you

Battlefield medic I: Heal and survival become class skills, extra skill point
Battlefield medic II: You may take 10 on heal checks even if you normally couldn’t, If brought to negative hit points (but still alive) you may make an immediate check to stabilize yourself.
Battlefield medic III:
Battlefield medic IV:
Battlefield medic V:

Armor master I: Reduce armor check penalty by 1, increase max dex by one, reduce encumbrance from worn armor by 50%
Armor master II: +1 AC when using armor
Armor master III: proficient with exotic armors, reduce movement penalty from armor by 5ft, reduce armor check penalty by 2, increase max dex by 2
Armor master IV: +2 AC when using armor
Armor master V: Remove all penalties from armor (movement, encumbrance, armor check)

Shield master I: You may retain the AC from a buckler when attacking with that hand, Improved shield bash
Shield master II: +1 AC when using shield
Shield master III: Reduce armor check penalty by 1, Shield bash now deals damage with dice one step up
Shield master IV: +2 AC when using buckler or light shield, +3 when using heavy shield
Shield master V: You gain a concealment miss chance on attacks against you when you can bring your shield to bear (buckler 5%, light shield 15%, heavy shield 25%)

Weapons master I: Select one weapon, you know deal damage with this type of weapon with dice one step up (1d4->1d6->1d8->1d10->1d12->2d8)
Weapons master II: You may spend a week training with a weapon to switch weapon specific feats (focus, weapon master I and IV, etc) to the new weapon
Weapons master III: Remove penalties for non-proficient weapons and improvised weapons
Weapons master IV: Weapon of choice increased critical hit multiplier by one
Weapons master V: You no longer have to roll normal weapon damage, instead use the maximum (you still have to roll critical damage dice, extra damage, etc)

Remove ads