D&D 5E What Does the Game Need Now?

Satyrn

First Post
I want more dungeons.

Kinda like 4e's Dungeon Delves, a book with 30 minidungeons, one for each character level. But in the spirit of 5e, I'd want the dungeons to be a lot less rigid in their encounter balancing. Like design them for Tier 1, Lower Tier 2, Mid Tier 2, etc rather than for specific character levels.

I'd also want them to be significantly longer with more exploration (and socialization, too).

More Dungeons of the Mage, essentially.

I want more dungeons.

Kinda like 4e's Dungeon Delves, a book with 30 minidungeons, one for each character level. But in the spirit of 5e, I'd want the dungeons to be a lot less rigid in their encounter balancing. Like design them for Tier 1, Lower Tier 2, Mid Tier 2, etc rather than for specific character levels.

I'd also want them to be significantly longer with more exploration (and socialization, too).

More Dungeons of the Mage, essentially.
As you say, that really is Dungeon of the Mad Mage.
Yeah, it has set levels for each layer… but they needed to pick something as the baseline. There's no reason the levels can't be explored by a party +/- 2 levels. You just rest less or more often.

Really out there stuff, like 5E compatible Gamma World or Star Frontiers, would be nice.
That is interesting: a variant game using the 5e chassis. It would be a fun way of having some more science fiction and funky alien species in the game.
But I imagine WotC wouldn't do something like this until 5e had run its course, to avoid competing with itself.

More monsters, more subclasses hard to go wrong with.
Meh.
That's what prompted this thread. I was thinking about what came next and decided that just "more" was boring. We've have lots of content, and I doubt the majority of gamers have used what we have. "More" didn't interest me.,

I've used a fraction of the monsters I already own. More are almost wasteful. That's when you transition from necessary content to bloat. From requested and needed content, to content for the sake of producing books.

More Adventures are always fun.
Yeah. I think that's a given.

Mearls has started talking alternative class features in the Happy Fun Hour, that could be a game changer.
I agree. A book of alternate features, options, and rules could be a lot of fun. I've been thinking about such a book for a while.

However… apart from the ranger, I don't see many classes really needing alternate features.

Satyrn

First Post
As you say, that really is Dungeon of the Mad Mage.
Yeah, it has set levels for each layer… but they needed to pick something as the baseline. There's no reason the levels can't be explored by a party +/- 2 levels. You just rest less or more often.
Right. I was describing how I'd improve on 4e's Dungeon Delves. It's a nice slice of serendipity that 5e is going my way. And I want more. More. MORE!!!!!

jimmytheccomic

First Post
Honestly, all I really want are domain rules for high level play. Once Colvilles "Strongholds and Followers" book finally comes out, and his "Kingdom and Warfares" follow-up, I'm good. Just publish adventures for occasional inspiration and I'm square on 5e.

(My satisfaction is mostly due to Kobold Press picking up some slack- their monster books and "Heroes Handbook" extra character classes are an embarrassment of riches.)

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'd just be happy with:

1) More adventures - both full campaign and small one-offs to slot into homebrewed campaigns
2) A 1st person style 5e computer game that transitions to tactical view when combat starts. It should be playable as a sole player offline, but also as multiplayer. To make it extra awesome, put campaign creation tools in it so that DMs can create online campaigns, and eventually slot in published adventures.
3) Micro-transactions on Roll20 or Fantasy grounds - for if there is one class, monster, spell or race that you want, but you don't want to pay for the whole book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is interesting: a variant game using the 5e chassis. It would be a fun way of having some more science fiction and funky alien species in the game.
But I imagine WotC wouldn't do something like this until 5e had run its course, to avoid competing with itself.

Mearls has bandied the idea around, but did say that is "late 5E" sort of stuff.

Still he has run Gamma World and Star Frontiers games at cons on a 5E chasis, and has talked about Gamma World on Twitter occasionally. Seems like something that might come around eventually.

I agree. A book of alternate features, options, and rules could be a lot of fun. I've been thinking about such a book for a while.

However… apart from the ranger, I don't see many classes really needing alternate features.

Mearls talked about the other Class with dissatisfaction being the Sorcerer, and his suggested fix was to just say "they know 4 spells at 1st Level, and two more than the PHB says at latter Levels."

There might not be other Classes that are broken, but the design he advanced for the Ranger implies other possibilities, like a 4E style martial Ranger with no spells but lots of maneuvers. Kits in addition to Subclasses, I guess we could say.

Mearls talked about the other Class with dissatisfaction being the Sorcerer, and his suggested fix was to just say "they know 4 spells at 1st Level, and two more than the PHB says at latter Levels."
But the point of alternate features is basically something you can swap in or out and is theoretically balanced. Like a different Fighting Style.

The sorcerer tweak is the opposite, as it’s just outright better. It’s not an alternate feature, it’s a replacement.

Remove ads