• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What does the "- " mean beside some of the weapons? :)

So, I've been meaning to ask about this for a while :)

What does a " - " mean if its listed in a Weapons Properties? :)

For example, how does a Sling, Mace, Morningstar or Flail work? :)

Are they 1 handed? Do you use strength or dex? Can they be thrown, What do Morningstars and Flails actually look like? :) These be things I do not know :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It means they don't have any special properties, and thus use the default weapon characteristics.

They don't have the "Versatile" or "Heavy" property, so they can only be used in one hand.

If they don't have the "Finesse" property (if melee), they can only be used with Strength. In the case of the Sling, ranged weapons default to Dexterity.

A morningstar is basically a mace with spikey bits on the end. A flail is basically a morningstar with a chain connecting the ball with the spikey bits to the handle (spikey bits optional).

Here's some pictures.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OUft2

It means "this weapon has no special properties".

The bit about it not having special properties kind of means to me that they do have special properties.

As the guy above you said, "ranged weapons default to dex" and I didn't know that so I was quite happy with thinking you could "strenth a sling" :)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The bit about it not having special properties kind of means to me that they do have special properties.

As the guy above you said, "ranged weapons default to dex" and I didn't know that so I was quite happy with thinking you could "strenth a sling" :)

It definitely could be clearer in the text. But from Page 194 of the Player's Handbook:

"Ability Modifier. The ability modifier used for a melee weapon attack is Strength, and the ability modifier used for a ranged weapon attack is Dexterity. Weapons that have the finesse or thrown property break this rule."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's always good to read the entire chapter leading up to the Weapons table, rather than just skipping straight to it. Almost all questions can get answered when you do that.

In fact, read the chapter twice. 😉

Sent from my SM-J320V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads