• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what does the term designate mean

Anditch

First Post
Ill set the scene. I am a dwarven cleric with fly cast. I fly up and can see two orks standing 30 foot back from a cliff face. So I fly down and I stand behind a rock completely obscuring vision to the orks. Question 1 Can I now cast Spiritual Ally and send the Ally over to attack one of the orks that i have designated or do I need line of sight to do this. Question 2. Now an ally can see the whole battle unfold. Could he relate to the cleric were the orks are so I can send the ally after them if the orks move after the first round. If so would it take longer or fall in to the free action for talking a few sentences. Do i need line of site to designate a new target. Is my actual characters vision that desigate(picks) the target. It says in core rulbook p214 that line of site is needed for spells with the TARGET(s) does this go with creation spells as well. Pulling my hair out on this one getting nowhere fast.

They aren't invisible to you, so if you know where they are and summon while hiding you can designate who you want your summoned ally to attack and they should comply. I only see this being a problem if it was an invisible enemy you were trying to designate as the one to be attacked. If you can't see them to move them, your friends can call out to you as free actions to tell you where to order it to be positioned. You aren't trying to direct a spell like a ray to hit something so don't need the line of site to do this.

If I'm wrong in my interpretation I'm sure someone else will come along and correct me.

Anditch

First Post
designate

I totally agree but getting the nerf bat. He wants the cant see need line of sight thing. our DM wants Talking to friends in combat asking were things are wants it to be a full round action. Ok makes little sence.Completely makes the spell useless.

I feel your pain, some GM's are pretty caught up in their own interpretations of the rules, but he's doing the group a disservice by making you have to have line of sight on the enemies in order to cast this spell. It's not over powered if you are able to get your friends' help in directing you where to place the ally, it keeps you safe as the healer for the group, and it's a smart tactical move on your part. As a GM, I'd actually reward you for thinking outside the box like this.

As it is, I understand house-ruling, can respect it, and do it myself for some things. Perhaps your GM is doing this rule this way, in which case he probably should have a sheet of written up house-rules for the group to live by/reference and have the agreement of everyone to change an existing rule to something that he likes better.

If he thinks that the RAW of talking in combat is a full round action, he's absolutely wrong in his interpretation and I've linked the SRD about Combat and below is the section from the SRD that explains what free actions are.

If he thinks I'm wrong, tell him to go to the Paizo forums and ask in the rules section, the developers of Pathfinder will answer questions and he'll get the same answer that I've linked below about speaking in combat.

Free Actions

Free actions don't take any time at all, though there may be limits to the number of free actions you can perform in a turn. Free actions rarely incur attacks of opportunity. Some common free actions are described below.

Cease Concentration on Spell

You can stop concentrating on a spell as a free action.

Drop an Item

Dropping an item in your space or into an adjacent square is a free action.

Drop Prone

Dropping to a prone position in your space is a free action.

Speak

In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn. Speaking more than a few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action.

Remove ads