• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does XP mean to you?

shilsen

Adventurer
What do experience points mean to you?

According to the DMG (pg. 36), “Experience points are a measure of accomplishment. They represent training and learning by doing, and they illustrate the fact that, in fantasy, the more experienced a character is, the more power he or she possesses. Experience points allow a character to gain levels. Gaining levels heightens the fun and excitement.”

I personally focus on the metagame aspect of XP and the last two sentences. I don’t think the claim that “in fantasy, the more experienced a character is, the more power he or she possesses,” is true for fantasy literature in general (which, admittedly, is quite irrelevant to the role of XP in D&D) or even for D&D itself, especially where NPCs are concerned. For me, the biggest, if not only, reason for the existence of XP is because players like their PCs to go up levels and gain more power. There are a number of accompanying benefits, such as the fact that they can have adventures involving more powerful (and, by extension, a wider range of) creatures and survive more varied situations, but at base I think the only real justification for the existence of XP in the game is to facilitate character improvement.

As far as the result of having a certain number of XPs, i.e. being of a certain level, for me that’s only really relevant for the PCs. For NPCs, I like to take the approach that Keith Baker takes in the Eberron Campaign Setting (which is another reason I like it). NPCs do not gain XP or increase in levels based on any system, but are simply at whatever level suits the character and the game. A war veteran of 25 years can be 4th lvl, while the much less experienced (in the game world) PC is 6th lvl. If I need to justify it, I take the approach that different people/creatures have different levels of potential, and the PCs are special in that their potentiality is both much higher than for most people and is actually achieved.

Since I think XP is effectively a metagame construct that exists purely for the purposes of the game, I mostly divorce it from character actions. I don’t use the “PC by CR” calculation system and PCs get a fixed number of XP per session, usually about 1000, modified up or down depending on when I want them to level up. It’s irrespective of what the characters do in the session. I figure the XP gain is only there so that the PCs can advance in level after a while, so it makes sense to me to keep it occurring at a rate which is conducive for me to run the game. If it weren’t for the fact that many PCs are creating items and doing things that use up XP, I’d have dropped it altogether. And next time I run a campaign (this one’s over a year old and has gone from 3rd-9th lvl), I’ll probably drop XP altogether and find a way to handle everything in the campaign that uses XP some other way (probably stealing from Piratecat’s use of action pts).

I’ve found some serious benefits to this approach to XP. Not only does it save me a lot of time, but it makes my players think about combat a lot more like their characters do. Since combat provides no OOC benefit (namely, XP), the only reason for getting into combat is because the characters think it’s a good idea, and they’re much more likely to consider other options than they would in a game using standard XP gain methods. I also avoid all the debates I see on these boards about situations where the DM isn’t sure how much XP the PCs deserve. All in all, I don’t think I’ll ever use the standard XP awarding system again.

I should add that as a player, I treat my character’s XP in the same way. Even if the DM is awarding it based on the standard system, I tend to think of it as effectively divorced from my character’s actions. I don’t think of it as something I earned but rather as something the DM gave me to measure when he wants my PC to level up.

So, that’s my take on the subject. What do you think of XP and how do you award it?

Thanee

First Post
Progress marker. It allows the player to estimate (and thus look forward to) when the next level up comes along the way. :)

I give XP by the book for combat encounters and ad hoc for session/mission goals (usually being fairly generous with those).

Bye
Thanee

Aaron L

Hero
Actually, my big gripe about Eberron is that a 25 year veteran can only be 4th level while a 1 yeah out of training PC can be 6th just due to "PC specialness."

I use XP just the way its written. Its a measure of personal growth in skill and power, and to some extent the "life force" of the character. If PCs gain XP at a certain rate, then NPCs in similar situations should get the same XP and be equally powerful.

As much as people will make fun of it, I like Dragonall Z as an example of it. Power Levels and the constant training and fighting to increase them. Especially since the aquisition of loot is so carefully monitored and tied into level in 3E and cant really be a goal anymore, the accumulation of XP is a goal unto itself.

I can think of many wizards and other characters in fantasy fiction who are primarily after XP (personal power, overcoming greater challenges, etc)

Thats all assuming a game where teh characters are actual adventurers, of course.

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Progress marker. It allows the player to estimate (and thus look forward to) when the next level up comes along the way. :)

Good point. I guess I make it really easy for the players to work out when they're going to level. It'll invariably take them as many sessions as their current level, give or take one.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Oh yeah, it's mostly an OOC leveling thing. But I give XP for character actions (not just fighting monsters) so the players can 'see' how their characters are progressing. Of course, avoiding fights gets them just as much XP as fighting them would. Maybe more if the role play is really good.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I have it corrilate to an in game concept called "Power." Every creature has at least some, and there are several ways to accumulate more Power, the easiest of which is slaying other creatures.

When ever a creature dies, it releases an invisible burst of Power, and any creatures nearby absorb a fraction of that Power. (Sort of highlander-esk).

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
I set one experience point to mean “The amount you learn or improve by going about your normal job for one day”.

Then I used that to build an NPC level chart for my world. I made three categories; Easy job, middle, and difficult job. The more difficult your job, the more you improve (they might get 2 or even 3 Exp per day).

I had an XLS, but it seems to have gone wonky on me ;-(

-Tatsu

MarkB

Legend
XP represents a few things, but most importantly XP is a reward.

Aside from wealth and items, which some creatures don't possess, the only tangible reward the PCs consistently get for succeeding against a tough opponent is XP, and the only record of their accumulated achievements is their total XP.

Michael Tree

First Post
Years ago, some friends and I had the idea of making XP a genuine, in-game measure of the power contained within powerful beings. Characters didn't improve much by practice or trial and error, but by seeking out beings that had innate power, killing them, and absorbing their power Highlander-style. We created the idea mostly as a fun rationale for why characters could improve so rapidly, and improve everything through killing ("How did I get so good at knowledge(history)? I killed a dragon."), but it did lend an interesting Conan-esque feel to the game.

shilsen

Adventurer
Michael Tree said:
Years ago, some friends and I had the idea of making XP a genuine, in-game measure of the power contained within powerful beings. Characters didn't improve much by practice or trial and error, but by seeking out beings that had innate power, killing them, and absorbing their power Highlander-style. We created the idea mostly as a fun rationale for why characters could improve so rapidly, and improve everything through killing ("How did I get so good at knowledge(history)? I killed a dragon."), but it did lend an interesting Conan-esque feel to the game.
Funny. I'd considered doing that as well. I don't know much about the setting, but I know Birthright did something along those lines, though I think that only applied to characters/creatures of certain bloodlines.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads