• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does your ENWorld name mean?

I started using my name years ago on a CP2020 board.. a callout to the DMs handook of the same name, which is of course a reference to Ash in the Army of Darkness.

I brought it over here as to not confuse the handfull of other migrants.

I kept it as the name works welll to remind myself to not be overly serious and avoid personal attacks... after all, how can you be mad at someone who calls himself this? :)

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Horatio

First Post
Horatio is name of my first "real" (rich backstory, complex personality, etc.) character I played back in the eighties. Character so memorable, that I got called by his name instead of mine, that the way he behaved was henceforward called "horatioing" in following campagns and still is, that the miniature I was using was called Horatio and after almost 20 years still is, that various people tried to copy him, that he became some sort of archetype. "Commiting acts of goodnes" was great fun those times. Sigh, memories...

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
My name stems from back during my first game session (1992) with my current gaming group. My character was being introduced to the party several sessions in and so my character had been tossed in jail. One of the other players was playing the Defender (a royally appointed troubleshooter of sorts) and so had asked for my release on terms that I swear allegience to him and the king. When my character had been hauled up out of the dungeons he'd been given his sword back so I decided to make a show of it. I described my character on bended knee offering my swordhilt to the Defender and promptly said "My sword is yours"... At which point the room burst into laughing...

Being a normally shy person I of course turned beat red and was completely confused as to why everyone was laughing at me... I normally didnt go into this much characterization or roleplaying because of the shyness... And so I was slipping into trauma territory with all the laughter... So after 45 minutes of being laughed at I started to pack up my stuff and leave... I was livid and mortified and near to tears... Ron (playing the Defender) finally realized something was wrong and had calmed down long enough to explain what had happened.

In my mind I had said "My sword is yours" but what actually came out of my mouth was "Your sword is mine"...

It's kind of stuck with me all these years as a running joke... At the time it wasnt all that funny but eventually I just made it my own.

Klaus

First Post
Klaus was a Ravenloft character I played (I usually DM, so he's one of the few characters I ever played). The first message board I joined was the Secrets of the Kargatane, the official RL fan site, so it was fitting that I used Klaus as my username.

Klaus' full name was Nikolaus Gunther Nakzinsky, which is the real name of German actor Klaus Kinski (father of Nastassja Kinsi).

LurkMonkey

First Post
Although a long-term gamer, I didn't realize until fairly recently (Late 2007ish) just how vibrant the online Pen and Paper community was. Although I had kept buying D&D materials out of nostalgia and a hope of eventually playing (There aren't a lot of resources in my area), I descended into the MMORPGsphere for most of the past decade: First Everquest, then WoW.

When the announcement came out about Dragon and Dungeon becoming online instead of dead tree, I was at a point where I was very tired of the MMORPG scene and the constant demands of online guildmates for assistance (anyone who has risen to the higher character levels can sympathize I am sure). I went online to find out what was going on, and got involved in several sites, mainly Paizo.

In 2008 I signed up here, but I was nervous, because of the then-raging Edition War, and since I was a fan of Pathfinder, I guess I didn't want to get involved in any contentious arguments (there was enough of that crap going on on my 'home' board of Paizo.com that I didn't want to inadvertantly get involved). I figured since I would be reading and not contributing, 'Lurkmonkey' was a good fit. That and I use 'monkey' in many of my online aliases.

Lately I have been swinging over here more and more. But LurkMonkey I shall stay =)

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
Mine's just my nickname from high school that I used also as a moniker on a local social group site and a number of people still call me it.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
'tuxgeo' is a truncated version of 'tuxedo george' -- my name isn't George, but I'm a fan of the 1960's cartoon "George of the Jungle" (for the horrible puns), and of the 1990's anime "Sailor Moon" (Tuxedo Mask is a stick, but the show has memorable music).
I use an avatar showing a cobbled-together version of Geo and Tux.

The handle is from the 1990's, when I posted in a.f.s-m on usenet; lots of the women there used screen names calling themselves Sailor (whatever), and several of the men called themselves Tuxedo (whatever), so I joined in.
I even contributed to [OW!] (Otaku Wars!).

Conveniently, the name "tuxgeo" remains unused by others everywhere I go on the 'web. (Not that I ever wonder why, of course.)

Remove ads