• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What does your Pathfinder game and game world look and feel like?

ancientvaults

Explorer
Just curious about how people are running their Pathfinder games. As an oldschooler I do believe that their is a Batman/Spiderman analogy that works well with describing how a game plays out. Batman being the older style of play where life is a lot dicier for a player and Spiderman as an example of more modern play in which a character has a few more buffers between themselves and a screaming death. Sometimes, you want to be Spiderman and there is not a thing wrong with that.

My game is very much inspired by Clark Ashton Smith, Lord Dunsany and J.R.R. Tolkien. The world is in its Second Age and is still a time of wonder and magic. I don't believe in having just one evil dark lord, so I plot out several at a time, their messengers, heralds and harbingers sometimes cross paths and agendas to make life a bit more challenging for the players.

Currently an ogre magi and his small army of goblins have taken up residence in an old wizard's tower in the north of the region where the characters are. Basically he is looking for ways to become a summoner and call up creatures and entities from the lower planes. His goblins are spies and scavengers, keeping an eye on the comings and goings of nearby settlements and trying to look inconspicuous. As the ogre magi develops, I am giving the players time to figure out what is going on. This is complicated by an elven king driven insane by contact with a Lovecraftian god-thing and a bardic deity that is not quite all there himself and whose musical magic sometimes creates webs that are tough to break free of.

I have an elven ranger, a dwarf ranger, a human rogue and a dwarf sorcerer of the aberrant bloodline. My daily oldschool blog makes an appearance with Pathfinder-ized versions of some of the entries. Our group of mainly oldschoolers is having fun with Pathfinder.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I'm running a chat based campaign on Monday evenings that doesn't use the core setting.

Instead, it is a Spelljammer/Dragonstar style campaign where Earth, upon inventing hyperdrive, discovers a galaxy populated not by Star Trek style races and technology, but by fantasy style races and magic.

I only have two PCs at the moment, one a U.S Air Force pilot of the first manned hyperdrive space shuttle launch, the other a Japanese engineer/tech head also on the crew of that first mission.

The name of the hyperdrive equipped shuttle the PCs are on: The Pathfinder. ;)

Skytheen

Explorer
I'm running a chat based campaign on Monday evenings that doesn't use the core setting.

Instead, it is a Spelljammer/Dragonstar style campaign where Earth, upon inventing hyperdrive, discovers a galaxy populated not by Star Trek style races and technology, but by fantasy style races and magic.

I only have two PCs at the moment, one a U.S Air Force pilot of the first manned hyperdrive space shuttle launch, the other a Japanese engineer/tech head also on the crew of that first mission.

The name of the hyperdrive equipped shuttle the PCs are on: The Pathfinder. ;)
I like this idea. Do you have a webpage for your setting?

DEP

First Post
My game is the Rise of the Runelords AP set in Golarion. I am playing up the dark atmosphere of the first few adventures, and how the people of Sandpoint are mostly innocents, and not that powerful. I try to run games that are more gritty and dark, giving the PC's a thin line between life and death. They were truly horrified of the Skinsaw Man, because I played him up so well, and was a mirror of the PC he was obsessed with. The player was legitimally creeped out and scared.

I am looking to start working on a new game set in either the Mwangi Expanse, or some other sort of exotic local, but haven't had the time to work on it.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
My world is kind of based (physicly) on Pangea. there are people groups in scandanavia/germany/austria/hungary; ireland/scotland/great brtian; france; iberian pennisula and the eastern euorpian area. I have them loly as a feel of about 1000 AD but with a major twist. If you have ever heard of the Nepherim, then you have an idea of who the 'gods' of the world are.

the general shape of the planet is cylindrical with the polar ice v\caps being a magical prison operated by the druids under the supervision of 'elder beings'. when there is a dispute between two of the greater beings in the land, there is a valley for such duels, judged by druids and the terms stated before the fight. the location is in the himilayas in the area of packastan and is watched over by a druid of great power.

Last edited:

Skytheen

Explorer
My world is kind of based (physicly) on Pangea. there are people groups in scandanavia/germany/austria/hungary; ireland/scotland/great brtian; france; iberian pennisula and the eastern euorpian area. I have them loly as a feel of about 1000 AD but with a major twist. If you have ever heard of the Nepherim, then you have an idea of who the 'gods' of the world are.

the general shape of the planet is cylindrical with the polar ice vcaps being a magical prison operated by the druids under the supervision of 'elder beings'. when there is a dispute between two of the greater beings in the land, there is a valley for such duels, judged by druids and the terms stated before the fight. the location is in the himilayas in the area of packastan and is watched over by a druid of great power.
I like this idea. My setting would resemble the state of the world before the flood in Genesis. I would use angels for most communication between clerics and their deities.

ruemere

Adventurer
Scarred Lands, still going strong.

Chief differences from vanilla SRD:
- magic items beyond 10K GP value are scarce
- magic items beyond 10K GP value cost on average three times as much and are subject to barter instead of purchases as most people lack means to buy them
- NPCs are much less likely to carry magic stuff
- crafting magic items carries additional risk (random curses)
- curse removal (also applies for magic poisons and diseases) requires caster level check in addition to normal procedures

Current situation:
- PCs are travelling from Mithril to Hollowfaust
- at the request of House Asuras, they are busy recovering large weapon shipment for Durrover rebels, from the greedy paws of Calastian beaurocrats (essentially, smuggling attempt failed due to doubly crooked Calastian quartermasters, who want to get better deal)
- at the same time, the PCs are maneuvered into power play between House Asuras (large, LE/NE merchant house... this time however Asuras help the good guys in Durrover for a hefty price) and local representatives of the Scaled (aristocratic in origins, criminal organization, currently ruling organization of Delis underworld), the Scaled and Peacekeepers (Calastian advisory agency, essentially diviner-military counterintelligence service) and finally, resurfacing local Kilharman's League (currently struggling to reassemble after great takedown by Peacekeepers)

PC levels are between 11 and 13. The campaign has been ongoing since 2003 (with several large breaks).

Regards,
Ruemere

Sheyd

First Post
My current thursday night game (In a chat room) is set on Greyhawk. The party just managed to close a major rift that lead to the Abyss, though they had to step between planes to do it. This brought them into contact with one of those lovecraftian nasties.. (A ramped up Aboleth with the Half-Farspawn template plus a few others gathered here and there). It enslaved half the party to attack those that didn't succumb to its power. The paladin in the group under full knowledge of this sliced the head off one of his fellow party member (Yes he fell from grace on that one) Another got turned into a rabbit but they managed to escape... or so they think! The Rogue is still under the Nasty's control because she's carrying a big gem that the Aboleth made to act as a touchpoint wherever it's taken... Bad things are happening and they're planning on taking on Maure Castle! Yay! Some ofthe Pathfinder rules I've filtered in here and there, the changes on skills for one. After this campaign winds down we're going to make the full jump to PfRPG.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
and the 'children bon of angels and men'? would thyeey have a place in your world? i am trying to think of a place for them. maybe lessor or demi gods or great heros?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads