• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What does your Pathfinder game and game world look and feel like?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Iron Age Picto-Celts setting

My latest project with intentions of publication is an Iron Age Picto-Celtic setting. While much of the flavor and historical reference is Celtic, I'm really trying to develop a setting for Picts - those tattooed barbarian-ish fighters from Scotland.

The setting is different from standard PF settings in one particular way - no written language, so no spell books, no magical tomes, etc.

I am looking at creating several new classes, some just slight alterations from existing Pathfinder classes, but mostly the standard ones, including a Myrddin (tattoo wizard - spells cast through tattoos on Myrddin' body, otherwise standard wizard), Barbarian, Bard, Cavalier (maybe), Fighter, Oracle, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Witch, possibly an Inquistor too.

Why no Druid? IMHO, both 3.5 and Pathfinder Druids are shifters, not divine casters, and nothing like a Celtic Druid, so I am flavoring the Oracle to fit this role. Also no clerics, monks, nor paladins - as they don't really fit in a Pictish/Celtic setting.

One thought on the Cavalier - Celts had charioteers as noted by the Romans in Britain, so a Cavalier class might fit as a Charioteer, though Celts were otherwise not known for cavalry (riding horses, yes, but not fighting on them.)

Plus the PF Bestiary is woefully thin in Fey: only five types listed. So I plan to upgrade 3.5 Fey and add several new ones. Shooting for 25 to 50 Fey to include in the setting book.

Also thinking of using Myrddin placed tattoos onto PC/NPCs to serves as magic armor and wondrous items - since the setting lacks a large number of magic items, compared to a standard PF setting.

Another member at Paizo, Tejon, one of the top 32 Superstar contestants is possibly porting over an Iron Mage he is working on (something like a Hex Blade) into the project if it goes to publication.

I've already got a complete campaign storyline idea planned. The Winter Hag is the goddess/queen of Fomorians, giants, ogres and hags and is mustering a winter host to invade the land of the Pictish clans, meanwhile she is preparing to invoke an ancient ritual to usher in a new Ice Age - when she was the dominating deity of the northlands and her worshippers ruled them, not humans.

Anyway, only a week into development - it should be a fun project!

GP

Gnome

First Post
I am running a game in a world with hundreds of islands, but not big continent (supposedly it was all one big continent at one time, but the continent was shattered by some cataclysmic event). It is lightly Greek-themed, and uses the Greek pantheon.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
At the moment my players and I are just starting a brief Pathfinder campaign to try out the new system and see how the changes work.

I am meanwhile planning out a Scarred Lands campaign for a few months time.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Well, my campaign setting has shifted/refined a tad since I posted before.
  • Theme: Enlightenment/Renasaunce. On the one hand, magical items are becoming more prevalent than they use to be (but are still fairly rare/expensive). On the other hand, mysticism and folklore not only have a place, but can be very deadly (such as traditional fey)
  • Ethnic Groups: I'm trying to keep the stats from getting too nuts. I don't want 5+ species of elf. The division is cultural. Russian-esq dwarves added.
  • Tainted Items: Introducing a new class of magical item that has both a benefit and a curse (curse to be determined by the DM) as an alternative to the magical items being destroyed if the creation roll fails by 5 or less.
  • Division of magic is ditched, as it causes issues with taking in other D20/Pathfinder elements
  • Division of Religion: sort of still there. It is all fluff anyways.
  • 3 new races (Faceless, Ironwrought, and a new amphibious race)
  • 2 new classes (Magewright is being beta tested, Elemental Savant is little more than a concept ATM)
    • Magewright: Magical craftsman that can't cast a thing. Mad scientist type
    • Elemental Savant: Martial Artists who gain abilities based on a particular D&D elemental energy. Tricky to make as it is much like making several new classes at once.

Remove ads