• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does your ultimate gaming table look like?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Inspired by the If money were no object thread, what would your ultimate gaming table look like, if you didn't have to worry about cost?

Personally, I can't think of any specific custom design I'd want, but I'd certainly consider Geek Chic's The Sultan to be at the forefront of game tables I'd like to own.

What does your ultimate gaming table have?

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Mine would have a slide out netbook/ipad at each station, full pc with 2 screens for the DM Possibly angled in the table, and some sort of projector from underneath for the main battle map, with a lexan sheet over the top. Would be recessed like the geek chic tables for minis. I wouldn't want a MS Surface or anything like that, the players could control from ipad/netbook, and I can write my own apps to run it. On side opposite the DM, i'd want a drawer system for battle maps.

In the recessed area, i'd want LED lights embedded pointing at the map for illumination.

Each station would also need a drink holder.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Probably some sort of circle-esque shape (maybe octagon?) with an extended, detachable side piece for the DM, so that a) none of the players would be lost at the far end of the table, but b) the DM would still have a "head of the table" type seat. Plus, being detachable, you could revert the table to "everyone is equal" status for other games or uses.

My old 4E DM had small 1" tiles inlaid on his table, with a piece of glass over the top, which was very cool. We didn't need graph paper or tiles or anything like that. If we wanted any sort of grid-based combat, we just drew whatever room-shape (etc) on the glass with dry erase markers. We could see the tiles beneath. It worked out very well.

Last edited:

mandarific

First Post
Rather than a 'sunken' area for the map or whatever, I think I'd much rather have a table with a raised center, possibly so that people could slide things underneath or what have you.

Also along the lines of the sultan, definitely some way of being able to hold your drink/pizza/etc without threatening the things on the table. I've had one too many character sheets meet untimely doom by marinara sauce.

IronWolf

blank
I think a sweet table that could double as a dining room table would be high on the list. Something of quality that could work in a dining room, but then be converted to a gaming table on the fly would appease both Mrs. IronWolf and allow for easy gaming.

Festivus

First Post
I'd want a LCD panel with multitouch input laid flat and inset into the tabletop, with a sheet of clear lucite or similar over it to protect from spills and take wet/dry erase markers but still allow for interaction beneath. Comfortable chairs and a felt border around the LCD panel. I'd like a controllable, motion tracking camera for the DM to be seen by remote friends, and flat panel monitors for the "remote" friends so there would still be a face at the table.

Osgood

Hero
Rather than a 'sunken' area for the map or whatever, I think I'd much rather have a table with a raised center, possibly so that people could slide things underneath or what have you.

Our group had the raised set up with a custom table we built, and while the additional storage space was nice, it did not really work for us. Since we use Dwarven Forge you couldn't see anything without standing up.

We built a new custom table with a sunken center and it is a huge improvement. The way we built the table it also allowed us to have even more storage space, with each player having their own space.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads