• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Edition of D&D was your First (with fixed Poll)

Which Edition of D&D did you first play?

• Old D&D

Votes: 30 7.2%
  • Basic/Expert D&D

Votes: 212 51.1%
  • 1st ed AD&D

Votes: 71 17.1%
  • 2nd ed AD&D

Votes: 67 16.1%
  • 3rd ed D&D

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • 3.5 ed D&D

Votes: 13 3.1%

BaadJim

First Post
Although I've had experience with D&D computer games in the past, my first being the 1E AD&D Gold Box game Treasures of the Savage Frontier, my truly P&P experience of D&D came with 3E.

As for 4E, I have to admit that I am looking forward to the new edition and assuming I have enough money for the three new books, I certainly shall be buying them.

KenSeg

First Post
Started with the Holmes boxed set in 1978 and then moved on to 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E. Of course, during the later part of 1E and all of 2E we were actually using a heavily modified houserule set. We changed over to 3E and 3.5E and played core books only for the last 8 years. We recently decided to probaby go back to our old houserule game with additions from 3.5E.

I will buy the PH for 4E to read through and see how they change the game.

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

Carl S

First Post
I'm not entirely sure. The first couple of game I played were at a friend's house around '84. We were given character sheets, and my friend's older brother DMed, and I really don't recall seeing any of the books he used. It could have been OD&D, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer or 1e.

I soon after started playing D&D with my cousins. The books we had were the Cook/Marsh Expert book, and U2 Danger at Dunwater. Somehow we played with that for a year or two before my parents let me buy the Mentzer red basic set.

I am not sure about 4e. I am curious, but a lot of what I have seen in previews so far has turned me off. On the other hand, all the previews for 3e REALLY turned me off. Then I got the core rules anyway, and really liked how it worked. So I will just wait and see. Currently I am a bit burned out by 3.x, and am going back to B/X for the near future. Who knows?

Wombat

First Post
I started with the One True Game (except I hadn't met Diaglo...) ;)

32 years ago ... Labor Day Weekend 1975. Three little books, some low impact dice I had picked at Lawrence Hall of Science, a bunch of confusion, and a whole new hobby.

Been gaming ever since.

Turanil

First Post
I began with Basic/Expert, but for only a few sessions, when went on AD&D1e, and later 2e. When 3e came, our gaming group had almost disbanded, so I didn't play that much of D&D3.0, then only a few sessions of D&D3.5. I won't get into 4e. I don't like the rules (I have read enough to make up my mind on it) and will probably get few opportunities to play again anyway.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

As I said in the other thread..."other". We used the B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS rules and filled in what other things we didn't have rules for...! :D

(and no, based on what I've seen thus far, I won't be buying or playing 4th edition)

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
I started with the red box basic set, I can't be bothered to pull it out to determine which one. I stuck with D&D through college, although it was often tough to find players. Darn AD&D snobs. I picked up copies of the AD&D 1e Players Handbook and DM's Guide, but never played it. I was in a AD&D 2nd game in junior high for a few months, but never bought the rules. D&D 3e provided an excuse to return to the game after a post college rpg hiatus, and I've been playing 3e and 3.5 ever since.

As for 4e, its too early to tell. I'll try to judge it on its own merits. If its a fun game, I'll buy it. If not, no hard feelings. I admit, if the virtual gaming table shapes up, that'll be a strong draw. It would be a great excuse to get all those old gaming buddies scattered across the country hooked again.

boerngrim

Explorer
I started on the red box basic set. I was in fifth or sixth grade. I believe it was 1985 or 86. One of my friends had the red box and we played at recess for a couple weeks. Then our teacher told us we couldn't play at school because a "concerned parent" called the school after her kid came home and said we were playing "that devil game!" the pastor warned them about. The principal called our parents. My friend's mom forbid him to play any more. I turned to the choose your own adventure books for a fantasy fix.

I bought the red box myself in junior high, but I just played by myself. People already thought I was a weirdo cause I did book reports on scifi/fantasy books including Doctor Who. I couldn't understand why no one else thought the TARDIS was as cool as I did! ;)

When I was in the Air Force in 1992 I found kindred spirits who played 2e every weekend. I soon had my own PHB and read it from cover to cover. I then purchased and eagerly read the DM's guide and Monstrous Manual. It wasn't long before I was running sessions as well as playing.

I like 3e. It's been a lot of fun! I'm taking a wait and see stance on 4e.
Thanks.

preacher

First Post
Holmes Basic, moving swiftly onto AD&D, as the books were just starting to be available. DMed my first ever game and kept on doing so - I never actually played D&D in those days, just DMed, though I did play other systems.

I then spent over 20 years GMing and playing other games - mostly RuneQuest, GURPS and Vampire. Got back into D&D a couple of years ago, not without a little scepticism, but I loved what 3.5 had done to the game. I still find it a little rules intensive at times, and get frustrated when everything grinds to a halt because the DM doesn't have an eidetic memory and we have to look something up. I also struggle to make the rules give me the character I imagine when I first cook up a concept.

But overall I like 3.5 a lot, and besides that age has made me worry a lot less about rules, as long as the game is fun.

As for 4E, it looks like it will answer a lot of my niggles with 3.5, but only time will tell. Our whole group is only just back into D&D, and a lot of books have been bought in the last 2 years. I could afford to buy new ones, but not everyone could, or would want to.

I like the direction Wizards say they're taking 4E - the philosophy behind the changes, if you will. I won't know if I'll like the reality of 4E until it's out, but I'm sure I'll buy it to find out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads