• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What ever happened to "role playing?"

IceBear

Explorer
S'mon said:
We're actually arguing for a minimum necessary baseline for what could be considered a "role-playing game." I guess if your 3rd-person talking to NPCs in 1e was entirely limited to "I bluff/threaten/bribe the guard" that could fall below the line.
Presumably your PCs' motivation was money & glory (XP), so not that far frok the players' motivation?
Re third-person vs first-person, I think you can roleplay without using first-person, and in retrospect in my young days I did that a lot especially GMing NPCs I wasn't comfortable playing 'properly' (love interests, say), but I (being elitest) personally tend to regard first person rp as the best or paradigmatic form of roleplay and 3rd-person as a lesser, but still valid, approach.

S'mon, I think you like to argue just for arguing :)

I was teasing with my post. Everyone was saying "I Bluff the guard" is not roleplaying, and then you say "Ah ha! If you interacted with NPCs at all you were roleplaying". So I just had to tease. Anyway, I think this debate has run it's course as normal - two sides arguing and seemingly at an impass, but in reality probably closer together in opinion than the debate would have it seem :)

hong

WotC's bitch
S'mon said:
I do indeed. I think there are treatments for that these days, if you don't like leaking everywhere.
What, don't you appreciate the benefit of my wisdom, as unto a shaft of gold in the dark night?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads