• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What exactly does being "marked" mean?

Hejdun

First Post
So I understand the standard Fighter and Paladin marks just fine.

My question is what being "marked" means in every other context. For instance, several Fighter/Paladin powers cause their targets to be marked. If a Paladin marks a creature with, say, Radiant Charge (level 13 attack), what does that mean? Is it identical to the Paladin's Divine Challenge? Does it do nothing except overwrite real marks (in which case it's a bad thing)?

What about classes that don't have a standard "mark," like a Ranger? What does it mean when a Ranger marks a target (i.e. through Slasher's Mark, Pathfinder Attack 20)?

Unfortunately, I can't find a definition for "marked" anywhere in the PHB.

Thanks.

Bison

First Post
marked simply means that anyone you mark that makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target suffers a -2 penalty to their attack rolls.

The special marks of the paladin and the fighter have the other abilities as well, but all marks give the -2 penalty

amysrevenge

First Post
I believe "Marked" is one of the conditions listed in the PHB on page 277 with all the other conditions. My wife has my copy, so I can't confirm it for you though.

fba827

Adventurer
what bison and amysrevenge said ....

marked is a condition (just like unconcious held etc -- see phb p277)
fighters and paladins have special class features that do special things in addition to giving the marked condition to targets.

Emirikol

Adventurer
"Marked" reminds me of dog + fire hydrant..but seriously our group is "this" close to removing it from the game. It's a lot of petty tracking IMGO (in my group's opinion).

jh

Dausuul

Legend
"Marked" reminds me of dog + fire hydrant..but seriously our group is "this" close to removing it from the game. It's a lot of petty tracking IMGO (in my group's opinion).

jh

Whatever works for you, but marking is kind of crucial for the defender classes to do their thing. Monsters laying down marks is excessive, though.

gamemasterbob

Explorer
Is Warlocks Curse and/or Hunters Quarry a "Mark"

Is Warlock curse and/or Hunters Quarry a "Mark"? In other words if a character uses this ability is the monster it was used on considered "Marked"?

Thanks
GMB

aurance

Explorer
Is Warlock curse and/or Hunters Quarry a "Mark"? In other words if a character uses this ability is the monster it was used on considered "Marked"?

Thanks
GMB

No. Unless a power or ability specifically says it "marks," it does not. Neither WC nor HQ make any references to marking.

Remove ads