• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What exactly is a D&D Warlock?

Wepwawet

Explorer
[MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION], the problem with Tiefling is not the from where it is derivative, it is the derivative suffix -ling. It has no meaning in portuguese, but for an english speaker he knows that is is a person with some trait, even if he doesn't know what the original word for the trait means (earth-lings, shadow-lings, tief-lings, half-lings, quick-lings, shamb-lings, gibber-lings, etc)...

I think that equivalet suffixes for -ling in portuguese are -ico/a, -ino/a and even -o/a.
For example: dracónico, (related to dragons), lupino (related to wolves), arbóreo (trees)...
So how about Demónico? (maybe you'd write Demônico)
It's a nonexistent word that I think describes perfectly what they're about.

About Warlocks, instead of changing their name why not change the Witch's? They've been out for much longer in 4E.
Call her Encantatriz or the more latin Incantatrix (Enchantress). I believe it somewhat describes the Witch's schtick

Klaus

First Post
[MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION], the problem with Tiefling is not the from where it is derivative, it is the derivative suffix -ling. It has no meaning in portuguese, but for an english speaker he knows that is is a person with some trait, even if he doesn't know what the original word for the trait means (earth-lings, shadow-lings, tief-lings, half-lings, quick-lings, shamb-lings, gibber-lings, etc)...
You're mixing a few things. The "ling" in "shambling" is the gerund of the verb "to shamble" (to walk awkwardly).

And even Tolkinen, a linguist, approved the translation of stuff like "Eorlings" to "Eorlingas".

zhouluyi

First Post
So how about Demónico? (maybe you'd write Demônico)
It's a nonexistent word that I think describes perfectly what they're about.
I totally agree with you on using portuguese suffixes and preffixes when it applies. In this case, Tieflings made pacts with Devils and not Demons (they are different in the D&D world). Therefore I would use the root 'diabo' (devil).

Here are the dictionary definitions:
diabólico adj (gr diabolikós) 1 Concernente ao diabo. 2 Próprio do diabo. 3 Inspirado pelo diabo. 4 Detestável. 5 Infernal. 6 Maligno. 7 Árduo, difícil. 8 Intricado
diabolizar (diabo+izar) vpr Transformar-se em diabo
Then we can have diabolizado as "transformado em diabo", which is a perfect match.

Wepwawet

Explorer
In this case, Tieflings made pacts with Devils and not Demons.

Oh really? I had no idea.
Ugh, that's one of the (few) things I don't like about D&D... For me devils and demons are all the same horned fiery evil creatures. They never came up much in my campaigns anyway

zhouluyi

First Post
New terms, Slayer and Smite

First I would like to thank you all for you help, it has been an eye opener.

Since we are in the topic, I'm rethinking my choices for the Slayer and for the term Smite (as in Smite Undead, Smite Evil, Holy Smite, Piercing Smite, etc).

What you (english speakers) understand on both cases? Here is what I think (again, on the D&D world):
- Slayer, someone that kill with violence and gore, I think about sword cutting heads and bodies in half, maces breaking skulls etc.
My current choice is 'Matador' (simply "killer"), it works, but I don't think it conveys the whole meaning. Here is my other option: Massacrador (someone who kill cruelly, causes massacre, butcher)

- Smite, this is a hard one. Pure and simple it means hit with a heavy blow, but it is commonly used to describe holy or divine actions or powers, and I guess this is the sense used here. Also, it not only a blow, but a possibly a DEADLY blow...
My current choice is 'Fulminar' here is the dictionary definition for it:
1 to fulminate, flash, lighten. 2 to hit, strike. he was struck by a lightning. 3 to injure, wound. 4 to punish, castigate. 5 to pull down, cause to collapse, shock, paralyze, startle. 6 to destroy, extinguish, annihilate. 7 to kill instantaneously, wound (with lightning). 8 to threaten, decree, impose upon, inveigh against. 9 to explode, detonate. 10 to shine, sparkle.
As you can see, it kind of fits but is assumes lightning as a cause in its primary meaning, although by extension it can be assumed to mean some divine power as the causative agent, but it a bit of a stretch (not much anyway). Examples: fulminar o mal, fulminar morto-vivo, fulminação sagrada, fulminação penetrante.
Other options:
- 'castigar' (castigate), it kind of fits as it imply a heavy punishing, but its a term too common to lost (Divine Castigation would use it). Examples: castigar o mal, castigar morto-vivo, castigo sagrado, castigo penetrante.
- 'abater', could mean abate, diminish, throw down, cut down, prostrate, humiliate, to fall, to kill, slaughter (cattle), to weaken, debilitate, enfeeble, to despond, to shoot down (plane). It doen't imply an attack, but it does imply trying to kill or knock someone. Examples: abater o mal, abater morto-vivo, abate sagrado, fulminação penetrante.
- 'agredir' (to agress, to assault) it is an ok word and the translations sound a bit cool and all, but I think something is wrong with it, and also, I would like to use 'agredir' as a translation to 'assault' since 'assaulto' in more commonly related with a robbery in portuguese. Examples: agredir o mal, agredir morto-vivo, agressão sagrada, agressão penetrante.

What do you think about it?

Ryujin

Legend
I would suggest that you check The Bible and compare passages in both English and Portuguese versions, to see what word they used for 'smite.' After all, The Old Testament is just chocked full of smiting.

zhouluyi

First Post
[MENTION=27897]Ryujin[/MENTION], already did... :) As I said at another post, I'm translating stuff since the beginning of the Essentials line, so almost for a year now. But I done all of this work so far by myself, and I think I'm not smart enough to it all alone, so I finally came here to the forums to get some ideas and some help to move forward and make a better use of terms.

BTW: On the Bible the translations vary according to context (since smite can mean simply and attack and anihilation of someone). Common word choices are: 'matar' (to kill), 'bater' (to hit), 'castigar' (to punish). Not a very nice use of words, I guess the bible translators didn't have much imagination...

Ryujin

Legend
[MENTION=27897]Ryujin[/MENTION], already did... :) As I said at another post, I'm translating stuff since the beginning of the Essentials line, so almost for a year now. But I done all of this work so far by myself, and I think I'm not smart enough to it all alone, so I finally came here to the forums to get some ideas and some help to move forward and make a better use of terms.

BTW: On the Bible the translations vary according to context (since smite can mean simply and attack and anihilation of someone). Common word choices are: 'matar' (to kill), 'bater' (to hit), 'castigar' (to punish). Not a very nice use of words, I guess the bible translators didn't have much imagination...

"Acabo"?

Different translations, different words used.

zhouluyi

First Post
[MENTION=27897]Ryujin[/MENTION], bad. "Acabo" means to finish, and in portuguese although it could me finish someone off (eu acabo com ele), it is usually used for tasks. Also, it has no implication of an attack, it could be used just as easily to refer to a discussion or a video game match.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads