• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Fantasy RPG Matches These Preferences

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First of all: I own and have played many fantasy RPGs. This thread isn't really a recommend thread so much as it is a way to talk about games, expectations, preferences and favorites.

That said: I want a fantasy rpg that matches the following list of preferences. Which Fantasy RPH would YOU recommend for me?

1. Relatively grounded with at least a nod toward realism in most systems in play, from combat to resource management to survival.
2. It's dangerous and most of the time even fighting "weak" enemies caries real risk.
3. PC magic is powerful but unreliable and dangerous to use.
4. The game systems are just as worthwhile for non combat stuff as combat stuff.
5. Medieval feel.
My take on that list is try out a toolbox system. My personal preference would be for HERO. That said, GURPS would probably be a better fit, because it defaults to a grittier gameplay than does HERO.

aia_2

Custom title
First of all: I own and have played many fantasy RPGs. This thread isn't really a recommend thread so much as it is a way to talk about games, expectations, preferences and favorites.

That said: I want a fantasy rpg that matches the following list of preferences. Which Fantasy RPH would YOU recommend for me?

1. Relatively grounded with at least a nod toward realism in most systems in play, from combat to resource management to survival.
2. It's dangerous and most of the time even fighting "weak" enemies caries real risk.
4. The game systems are just as worthwhile for non combat stuff as combat stuff.
5. Medieval feel.

I am currently writing it!
Please be patient and in a month or two I will publish a playtest edition of the core rules! Then will follow the expanded rules and the setting...

clearstream

(He, Him)

5. Medieval feel.
Harn would be worth looking at. It is very grounded, very European medieval in feel. Crunchy, dangerous combat. Rolemaster is an obvious choice. As is the new Chivalry and Sorcery (I've only played older editions.) Bushido if not focused on European medieval.

I'd second Ars Magica and BW. Also consider TB2.

Your 3rd criteria might be hardest to hit. Maybe Worlds Without Number.

Honestly, you may need to weight your criteria. Which are most important?

Last edited:

. . . I want a fantasy rpg that matches the following list of preferences. Which Fantasy RPH would YOU recommend for me?

5. Medieval feel.
I'd recommend building this game with GURPS 4e. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy lacks #3 and #5, so you're going to have to do some construction work, but it may be a good foundation.

#1 comes naturally from using GURPS.

#2 comes from picking the right number of points to build characters with. 150 points is about right for that, if you use monsters from the Dungeon Fantasy line.

#3 is most easily achieved by using Threshold-limited Magic from pp. 76-82 of GURPS Thaumatology. This uses the standard GURPS Magic spells, but a different way of powering them, which creates the potential for catastrophes

#4 comes from using GURPS, although if you want detailed social mechanics, using GURPS Social Engineering would be worthwhile.

#5 depends on exactly what you mean by "medieval feel." Gritty and grimy? Baroque politics? Fixed social roles by birth? Something else?

Last edited:

Remove ads