• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What fantasy setting do you use?

What fantasy setting do you use?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 115 33.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 72 21.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 37 10.9%
  • Kalamar

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • Erde

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Karathis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystara

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Zakhara (The Arabian Adventures setting)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Nyambe

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Homebrew

Votes: 176 51.9%
  • Other

Votes: 59 17.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsemlak

First Post
Thanks for the info on Kalamar guys.

Wow, soooooo many settings to choose from nowadays. It's amazing to me that with all that so many people choose homebrew.

Outlaw

First Post
Kingdoms of Kalamar

I'm one of the "ballot stuffers" meaning I'm a KoK fan who doesn't post regularly on this list (don't feel like having to argue whether or not my preference of games is appropriate, it's my preference). So, I'm here to support the setting I know and love, but rather than stuffing the ballot and running, I thought I'd stay a little bit and add my opinion to the mix.

I started in the Forgotten Realms and loved the expansive map and the variety of the world. I got worn out by the high magic and even higher NPCs. I didn't need to adventure, Elminster could fix it all.

I moved to homebrew and that was fun, but entailed a lot more work. Still have the map over on the couch and the pantheon of gods on my harddrive. Of course I submitted it to the competition a few months back. :)

Found the newest incarnation of Greyhawk through the LG campaign and that was all right, but it's not supported by WotC so what I have is what I get.

Tried a little of the scarred lands, buying the different city sourcebooks along with Relics and Rituals. There were just too many nuances that rubbed me the wrong way so it didn't stick for more than a few sessions.

And so I gave Kalamar a try. I was intrigued by the fact they used multiple human races and after reading through the campaign setting, I was hooked. So much attention was given to the setting, such minute detail, yet it is so open and so flexible. These bits of flavor don't force me to run the campaign in any fashion I don't want to. (I run an extremely low magic campaign, but the setting could just as easily support a high magic campaign if desired). Add in the variant classes, the extrapolation of being part of a church, the gods having different names for each race that refers to them (which I did in my home campaign). Stir in some well conceived historical stories (King Thedorus and the silver dragon coins I found to be pretty cool) and it all makes for a brilliant campaign setting.

The few times I have posted about the setting over here it's been met with animosity, so I usually just keep my comments to the Kenzer boards. But if you want to see exactly what quality is, pick up the Atlas next month. You will be astounded, amazed and totally hooked. The book is a labor of love, a virtue that some companies lost a long time ago. I'm glad to be part of one that still has it in spades.

--Outlaw

Virginia Wilde

First Post
I run a homebrew based on India in the 1820s with fantasy elements thrown in. It's currently being written up as a sourcebook for publishing.

Turlogh

Explorer
I use or like Erde and Greyhawk.
Forgotten Realms never really appealed to me and as a Dm there just seems to be way to much stuff to keep track of- probably more percieved than reality.

Had Greyhawk recieved the support from 3e I thought it was it would be my favorite setting by far. But Living Greyhawk is really not my thing.

Erde is new and supported. It does suffer a bit from editing problems but the Troll Lords are really great guys at answering questions and are dedicated to improvement of their product line. Hopefully others start using this interesting world soon.

roytheodd

First Post
I've been using Kalamar for over a year and have really grown to bring it to life. I'm beginning to use HarnWorld and so far it looks amazing.

Patrick-S&S

First Post
roytheodd said:
I've been using Kalamar for over a year and have really grown to bring it to life. I'm beginning to use HarnWorld and so far it looks amazing.

Gasp... Hide quickly before you get lynched for liking Hârn... ;)
Cool to hear that there are people here on these boards that do use and game Hârn. After Kantrip's blow-out a few months ago I thought we Hârniacs were all doomed on EnWorld. In any case Columbia Games who publish Hârn will soon publish Hârn material as PDFs with d20 content for those of you who are interested. And if you haven't please check out my website. I make the official maps for Hârn and have some similar freebies there that you can use.

FriendlyFiend

Explorer
I'll put in another word for Planescape - high flavour, low crunch, massively open-ended, extremely flexible and, in Sigil, the best city setting D&D has yet seen.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Now Patrick you know I would never lynch anyone for liking Harn. I'd just consider them slightly odd. :) *is kidding*

Wicht

Hero
If you haven't checked out Kalamar, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. I run a medium magic campaign and it fits perfectly into Kalamar. For all the reasons other posters have listed IMO Kalamar is the best overall setting on the market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads