• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What fantasy setting do you use?

What fantasy setting do you use?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 115 33.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 72 21.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 37 10.9%
  • Kalamar

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • Erde

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Karathis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystara

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Zakhara (The Arabian Adventures setting)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Nyambe

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Homebrew

Votes: 176 51.9%
  • Other

Votes: 59 17.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gez

First Post
I voted FR and Homebrew, but actually, we have 3 distinct homebrews.

One is a "vanilla stone age", with big honkin' dinosaurs, stampeding mammoth herd, men-slaving fur-clad amazons, evil cannibals from the tribe of the Crocodile, and overall, much fun. But we didn't play it much.

Another is intended to be a pirate setting, not much detailed for now : a Japan-like country in the far, far, far, far east from where our PC comes :) (so I could have said Oriental Adventure also, but in fact it's rather orientals adventuring in an occidental setting) and an island in an archipelago where we're stranded for now.

The last is my own homebrew and I DM in it.

We also run 2 FR campaigns.

I'm also always interested in other campaign settings, even if I don't play or DM in it. First, because I like world-building and "fantasy tourism" (I have several dozen homebrew world ideas that I can't use right now because they would not be compatible with Edhel); secondly because I can often draw inspiration from them to my own campaign. I've taken deep looks at the Scarred Lands, Greyhawk, Rokugan and Mystara; and if I get ways of looking at any other, like Kalamar or Freeport or anything, I'll probably would.

Psion

Adventurer
Patrick-S&S said:
Gasp... Hide quickly before you get lynched for liking Hârn... ;)

Oh, come now. No one gets lynched for liking Harn. People do get lynched for being insulting while they are at it. I trust I don't have to name any names, but leave it well enough to say I don't think you have ever been a problem here, Patrick.

Orclicker

First Post
I guess I'm another Kalamar "ballot stuffer" I lurk here a lot but don't post much. I have read most of the 3E campaign settings and I think that Kalamar is by far the most versitile, and is therefor the best for my games.

Andy

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Psion said:

Oh, come now. No one gets lynched for liking Harn. People do get lynched for being insulting while they are at it. I trust I don't have to name any names, but leave it well enough to say I don't think you have ever been a problem here, Patrick.

Agreed Psion.

Patrick-S&S

First Post
Psion said:

Woaw Sir Serious please at least give me the credit for being able to jest. I know I have never been a problem here and a few, but not all, have been quite interested in what I have to say. I don't know if you are the defender of all that is EnWorld but I come to these boards for a reason. That reason is not 3e (which may be a good game to some but it is not my ideal of a game) but more to get the general feel of the industry (which is d20). And that is why I return almost daily to check it out. As a developer (not publisher) of official material I must. :)

Personally I love Hârn and all there is to it but I am not an impossible man. I also like Kalamar world (the atlas looks awesome), Warhammer and the old MERP game. FR, SL, GH and the other settings do not appeal to me but I gotta admit I am still very fond of the second edition of FR. And about the name that blackened Hârn on these boards Alan, he was wrong. The worst thing to promote another setting is not to look down on others. I was joking nothing more when I said "hide". If I can't show that with a smiley then I don't know what to do. :eek:

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Like I said earlier, Kenzer caters to their fans 100%

orclicker wrote part of the Villian Design handbook (Good job on that, BTW). IIRC, there is a Ring of Otter Control in there. That was (I hope) solely put in as an inside joke for the boardreaders at the kenzer site [shameless plug]www.kenzerco.com [/shameless plug]. There's a guy running around ranting about undead feral were-otters, and kenzer obliges him. The actually have a Kalar's Complete guide to Otters scheduled for next April ;)

I'm stunned

...by the high ratings seen for Greyhawk. Despite the lack of support from WoTC, the limited source material, the lack of a metaplot (though I consider this last bit a feature), etc, etc, it seems like a lot of folks actually play in Greyhawk. I'm one of them as well, since I DM 2 games in Greyhawk and play in one.

Sure, it has all sorts of zanyness (like the various acronyms for Gygax), but ultimately, as a setting for the D&D game, D&D grew up in Greyhawk, and for me, will always be associated with Greyhawk.

s/LaSH

First Post
I'm homebrew all the way. I've always wanted to run a game set on medieval Earth, because of the vast depth of the setting, and tweak it a little to include magic and monsters. Then 3E came out and I decided to give it a whirl.

Plus, as a homebrew I can tie the PCs directly to the fate of the world, rather than using an established franchise - the mental resistance to PCs conquering Faerun, for example, is quite high. Further plus, the PCs know a little about this setting, but they know enough to know that they don't know enough. They were amused when they ran across one of Saladin's gnoll legions...

Of course, if I ever did run a campaign in, say, the Forgotten Realms, I'd do as much research as possible then proceed to tear the setting to pieces with war, outsiders and horrible things the PCs never knew about each other... but that's just the kind of storyteller I am.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
s/LaSH said:
I'm homebrew all the way. I've always wanted to run a game set on medieval Earth, because of the vast depth of the setting, and tweak it a little to include magic and monsters.

I suggest taking a look at GURPS Alternate Earths 2 - it describes several "alternate history" worlds as campaign settings.

In one of them, "Midgard", the vikings manage to plunder Byzantium - and use the resulting increased wealth a found colonies all over the world.

Throwing in fantasy monsters and magics from all kinds of mystical traditions wouldn't be a problem at all - and would create a hell of a setting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads