• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What feat to take?

thegreatbuddha

First Post
I'm playing a 2nd level paladin with the following feats: Movement Check, Combat reflexes.
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16 Con 12 int 10 Wis 11 Cha 18
I wield a glaive

What feat should I take? I will be advanceing as a paladin, and I have access to nearly any source available. As of right now, Im going to take Weapon Focus (Glaive) or Quick Draw unless someone can present me with a better option....

DarkJester

First Post
I'm really against weapon focus if your not a fighter. Quick draw is really handy for someone using reach weapons. Your a paladin, your feats are limited, so be careful in what you choose.

What is movement check?

Not specfic to your paladin, but paladins in general, I would recomend power attack and divine might. Cha bonus to attack and damage is really useful. Extra smite can be handy at high levels as well.

You have a high dex, if you want to capitilize on that, pick up improved initiative and expert tactician. I'd probly take quick draw at third though, and from there go onto powerattack-divine might.

(Edit)
Nevermind expert tactician, just remembered it has an 13 int requirement.

Last edited:

Arcanus

First Post
ditto on what darkjester said.

On the other hand if you are a paladin you shouldn't take advice from anyone calling themself the darkjester.

Crothian

First Post
Weapons focus is always good, you use it every time you attack with that weapoin which means you will get more use of that feat then most.

Epametheus

First Post
While not as good as PA + DM, an interesting option would be Hold the Line. Hold the Line grants you an AoO whenever something charges you.

Unless the Sage or somone similar has ruled otherwise, this can actually be used as a counter against Ride-by Attack. If Movement Check works like Stand Still from the Psionics Handbook, even better.

It'll also grant you AoOs against charges even when you're waving around a short sword or whatever your back-up weapon is.

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Movement Check is the same as Stand Still, except that it is a general feat and there is no Fort save involved. if you hit with the AoO, your opponent's movement is ended. It's unholy combined with a reach weapon :)

My backup weapon is a greatsword :)

Is there any ruling that says I can't take Monkey Grip and use 2 Glaives?? If not, I'm likely to pick that up, along with PA +DM when i get a chance to do so.

My character isn't about causing massive damage in a single strike. He's all about locking an enemy in place with his superior mobility (ie, he can move and they can't) and then pounding them relentlessly. He has already proven to have a wondrously effective keep away game (AoO+Movement Check, attack, 5ft step, repeat), and I would like to build on that. I was thinking about taking Expert Tactician (No Int requirement; Dex 13+) or Expert Timing from the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's guide. It allows the character to use the delay action without losing their place in the initiative order (Helpful against spellcasters and such).

DarkJester

First Post
Dual wielding monkey gripped glaives is going to cause you huge penalties to attack (-8/-8 I believe) You may be able to stop someone in their tracks with that, but you certainly wouldn't be hitting anyone. Besides, dual wielding is a little to feat intensive for a paladin with other goals in mind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads