What feats are "missing"?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
There were feats in the playtest that I wish had stayed in the game. One in particular that I miss was a feat called Arcane Archer that basically replicated the Arcane Archer prestige class. I thought it was a great way to do prestige classes and a really fun feat. I don't know why it was left out of the final version.

agree with this one ... maybe they have plans for it.

Daggermaster could be interesting ... but it shouldn't be better crits with daggers. It should have some flavor and fun abilities. like palming daggers or something

Also with the spear ... I would love a Spear & Shield Feat or something that makes using a Spear interesting. Maybe I will design one when I have some time.

Feats that arent combat related but give interesting package of benefits... Sailor feat for water campaigns that gives you benefits for swimming, climbing, drinking and surviving the harsh seas.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Some quick thoughts:

* I'd like a feat that gave you the bonuses associated with a second background (perhaps the feature, one skill, and one tool/language); essentially a variant of "skilled".

For Rogues,
* I'd like a feat that lets you use an attack cantrip with Sneak attack (constrained so that it only does base damage, or whatever).
* I'd like a feat that lets you use non-finesse 1-handed weapons for Sneak Attack (allowing Brute rogues, with STR not DEX).

For spellcasters:
* I'd like a damage-type substitution feat (instead of x, spells do y, and players choose both x and y, so cold spells do fire damage)

For fighters:
* a gladiator feat (that lets you found net-and-trident both as light weapons, and lets nets be used as a melee weapon)

A feat for crossbow users that are not hand crossbow users.

Crossbow expert is already pretty good even if you are not using hand crossbows; sharpshooter also works. What specifically do you want to do that's not there already?

Last edited:

Crossbow expert is already pretty good even if you are not using hand crossbows; sharpshooter also works. What specifically do you want to do that's not there already?

Pretty much the loading part coupled with something completely different. I don't like ranged weapons in melee because I think its a boon that ruins characters, conceptually. I didn't like 4e hunters because they always use the same weapon all the time, it felt stale.

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Feats in 5e are about granting exceptions, primarily, with sometimes granting a minor bonus. As 5e's "bounded accuracy" works now, any feat created must take this into primary consideration! If we end up with a half-dozen feats that all basically do the same thing ("Gives +1 to hit with X"), we will end up in the same boat that 3.x/PF is in (or, more likely, far, far worse...). We'll end up with "Fighter" and then we'll end up with "Fighter (Brute-Stabber-Build). The Fighter will have +5 th and +9 damage, but the BSB fighter will end up with +9 th and +16 damage with all attacks at advantage, at double range, and triple the normal critical range because of all the "feat stacking".

Don't. Do. That.

So...ahem...I'd be all for Feats that add character, flavour and interesting things. I'm against Feats that simply "stack on" bonuses. That way leads to madness! Madness I say! :) Basically, a feat should give interesting choices for the character...not "flat, stackable bonuses".

For example, Thaumatuges (not picking on you, Thau, you just happened to write it all out nice an' purdy like... :)

GUILD ENFORCER
You are skilled at striking unwary or distracted opponents. You gain the following benefits:

• If you already have sneak attack as an ability, you gain an extra die when you use sneak attack, otherwise, you gain the sneak attack ability and do d6 damage in addition to your normal weapon damage when your target is unaware of you or in mêlée with another enemy (see Sneak Attack on page 27 of the Basic Game for a description).
  • You can take a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. Once you use this action, you may not use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

The second point is good. It allows a "rule exception choice" to the player, it doesn't simply "stack on" something. The first point, however (as you noted), is up for potential abuse. It simply "stacks on" something that nothing else in the game does. What I might have done is have it work sort of like a "damage advantage" roll; you roll 2d6 for your sneak attack die, and use the highest one. It doesn't "stack on" anything, but instead uses a mechanic that is already in game (Advantage), modified, and doesn't really upset the BA of the system.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Runny

First Post
I really miss Arcane Archer. It was awesome sauce. More caster options would be great. What about the play test feat that gave advantage on saves vs spells as a reaction? Spear feat. DEADEYE SLINGER! I'm for any feat that turns subpar weapons cool... Not for optimizers, but dripping in flavor. Maybe something that makes Investigation cool... DnD gumshoes baby!

Paraxis

Explorer
Arcane Archer
  • When you cast a single target spell, you may make a ranged attack as a bonus action. The spell energy is attached to the weapon or piece of ammo so that it now uses the weapons range, if the spell requires an attack roll you just make the one attack roll to see if the weapon and spell hit the target.
  • You can use your spellcasting ability score to hit and damage with ranged attacks instead of your dexterity. If you do so the attack counts as if you used a magic weapon.
  • You gain proficiency in one ranged weapon of your choice.

Just as an idea.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Spear feat. DEADEYE SLINGER! I'm for any feat that turns subpar weapons cool... Not for optimizers, but dripping in flavor. Maybe something that makes Investigation cool... DnD gumshoes baby!

I agree -- and I think there's a lot already in Martial Adept. It benefits all fighters (except battle masters), rangers, paladins, monks, clerics, druids, some warlocks, bards easily and gives some really cool powers.

You mention slings: consider taking martial adept and menacing and pushing attacks. Not only does your sling now do an extra 1d6 damage occasionally, but it can also cause the opponent to be scared, or knocked back 15' (or disarmed, or tripped....).

That's pretty fun!

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Arcane Archer
  • When you cast a single target spell, you may make a ranged attack as a bonus action. The spell energy is attached to the weapon or piece of ammo so that it now uses the weapons range, if the spell requires an attack roll you just make the one attack roll to see if the weapon and spell hit the target.
Isn't an archer ranger essentially this?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
In 4E, my low-strength Avenger could would a great sword effectively. I want a feat that does that somehow, so I can build this character.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'd like more feats that let you use your mental stats tactically without magic. Inspiring Leader is great, but I'd love to see a few more, especially for enhancing the int-heavy "tactician" type.

Remove ads