• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What feats need to be added to the game?

Zinovia

Explorer
Naturally there is an endless possibility when it comes to feats that could be added to 4E. What feats do you feel need to be added for the sake of rounding out the game and providing balance with existing options? Not crazy broken feats, but stuff that really ought to have been there all along?

Some suggestions include:

• A feat to let warlocks raise their curse damage dice from a d6 to a d8 a la the rogue and ranger feats.

• Implement focus, a la weapon focus (increase damage when using that implement). Let's solve the issue of weapon focus applying to some implements but not all of them.

• Multiclass options for people multiclassing within the same power source that allows them a skill choice other than religion for divine, or arcana for arcane classes. Right now you are screwed out of a trained skill if you MC within the same power source for many classes. Grant skill focus in religion/arcana perhaps? Allow the selection of a different skill from the MC class list? I'd like to see multiclassing within the same power source be just as advantageous, but right now, you lose the skill training.

• A better sorcerer multiclass feat. +2 damage to one spell per encounter? Really?

• Implement feats for specific races. It might encourage people to choose different implements if they had a bonus in using them.

Some of these may not actually be needed, but they are all ideas that I have had and may house rule. What feats do you feel need to be added to the game?

tiornys

Explorer
Some of these may not actually be needed, but they are all ideas that I have had and may house rule. What feats do you feel need to be added to the game?
Some method of gaining languages that doesn't involve an Int of 13 and learning three of them at once.

t~

d.wartooth

First Post
"Kip Up" ala 3E. Standing up from prone as a minor action, without having your feet slot item taken up with acrobat boots. I'd even support it having a minimum Dex score attachment.

Mort_Q

First Post
"Kip Up" ala 3E. Standing up from prone as a minor action, without having your feet slot item taken up with acrobat boots. I'd even support it having a minimum Dex score attachment.

Isn't that a Rogue utility power now? [edit]Hop Up[/edit]

Not that it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure what the specifics of their design policies are.

d.wartooth

First Post
Isn't that a Rogue utility power now?

Not that it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure what the specifics of their design policies are.

It may be, although I can't find it. However, the DM that I have for our 15th level Eberron campaign is fond of knocking prone powers. It'd be nice to have my ranger be able to stand up as a minor, rather than a move.

Thanks for the link. It'd still be nice for my ranger to be able to do. Something like:

Kip Up
Tier: Heroic
Prerequisites: You must be trained in Acrobatics. Dex 13
You stand up from prone as a Minor Action

Last edited:

Zinovia

Explorer
A feat to stand as a minor rather than a move would certainly weaken knock-down powers. I can see the attraction of it - it would be very useful. Even with a dex requirement is it too good to allow?

borg286

Explorer
That's the purpose of the PHB2 background. You choose 1 of 3 options, +2 in a skill, a skill becomes a class skill, learn a language. Learning 1 language is not worth a feat.

d.wartooth

First Post
A feat to stand as a minor rather than a move would certainly weaken knock-down powers. I can see the attraction of it - it would be very useful. Even with a dex requirement is it too good to allow?

I don't know. I'd have to see it played out. However, it still has an "action cost" for trade. As a loss of a minor action, a ranger couldn't quarry. So maybe the trade off is worth it. I purposely left off a "shift" as an after effect. It would still cost a move to get out of harms way. Not to mention that you do burn a feat by taking it.

Zinovia

Explorer
Some method of gaining languages that doesn't involve an Int of 13 and learning three of them at once.

t~

I agree, although I house-ruled it a bit in my own game. I gave bonus languages for Int equal to 1/2 your int bonus rounded *up*. Still, that leaves the less than intellectually gifted out in the cold when it comes to learning languages.

I think a feat just to learn 1 language is a bit much. How about a multi-skill affecting feat similar to jack of all trades, but that anyone could take?

Book-learning
You have received some formal education, whether it was at a temple, from a private tutor, or at the village school.
Benefit: Learn one extra language, add a +2 feat bonus to History, Nature, and Religion skills.

N8Ball

Explorer
One feat I've been hoping for since the game came out is one that would allow me to take another at-will from my class.

It would have to be at least Paragon, otherwise it would minimize the human bonus too much. There's probably ways a MC character could abuse it too.

For a single classed character the feat would AT BEST only give you the third best at-will (since you took the first two already).

That doesn't seem too overpowered does it?

Remove ads