• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

Creature types need better organization:

ORIGIN (in the Forgotten Realms setting, corresponding to planes, however these origins are not-necessarily planar):

• Material (a speculative version of reallife, this world)
• Ethereal/Elemental (personifying force, energies and matter)
• Fey (personifying some feature of nature or some possible fate)
• Shadow (personifying the past)
• Astral/Celestial/Fiend/Dream (realm of archetypes, ideals, symbols, where language and paradigms come to life)

FAMILY (a set of similar species)

• Dragon
• Elf (can handle the traditions of different kinds of elf, that differ significantly mechanically)
• Giant
• Goblin

• Angel
• Devil
• Demon
• Aberrant (most aberrants appear as intelligent monstrosities)

• Ooze
• Plant
• Beast

• Construct
• Monstrosity
• Undead

HUMANOID (a special creature type, defined by freewill and comparable to a Human: a playable character, even if unplayed in some settings)

Even this three-way split allows for meaningful descriptions. Species in parentheses.

Ethereal Dragon (Mithril Dragon)
Material Undead Dragon (Dracolich)
Fey Elf Humanoid (Eladrin)
Material Elf Humanoid (Drow)
Material Humanoid (Stout Halfling)

And so on.

Last edited:

Wisdom is inherently Aristotelian (Nicomachean Ethics, book 2). It's less about perception and more about seeing the world as it really is. Likewise, willpower is a mixture of Aristotelian bravery and temperance.
In other words,

"Wisdom" is two separate abilities:
• Perception → Intelligence (very Aristotelian!)
• Willpower → Charisma (social, Stoic)

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
by slaanesh.jpg

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If you wanted to muck about with levels of success, it is possible to replicate something very much like the standard PbtA spread on a d20 roll, you just need to hammer at the mods a little and do something for expertise other than double prof mod. I probably wouldn't brand this on the side of the sacred cow of combat, but it might be a useful dongle for some kind of social interaction/exploration system. 5E could do nicely with some success at a cost in both areas, IMO anyway.

I would leave the races alone. Let's make it more about additional rules, skills and classes. Races are fine as they are now. The major problems are that some areas are a bit lacking.

Some skill should be more meaningful and useful. How come the best characters at religion and arcana aren't the cleric and the wizard respectively? Or that nature isn't an auto skill for rangers and druids? Some of the choices about skills in 5ed were not so well thought as it first had seemed.

The classes should have a bit more meaningful choices beside choosing a subclass. Each subclasses should have choices between alternate powers ( 2 or 3). This way, no two subclasses of the same subclass played would be the same. Variety would rule.

Some rules are clearly way too opened for interpretation. The concentration mechanic is great to control number bloating but a spell should not be concentration and allow a save every turn. It should either be one or the other, not both. Poison is almost useless now with the save every turn to remove it. It should be something more of a save every turn for half damage for X duration.

CapnZapp

Legend
We have a forum!

In the app this link sends me to a post about Vampire the "Masqurade".

(I'll check the link from desktop later)

Lylandra

Adventurer
I already mentioned skills in my first wish-list, but as someone who loves crunch and roleplay, please resist the urge to let the crunch (and maybe some fluffyutilitycrunch) be only all about combat. Heck, I loved 4e's combat complexity, but the edition was too lacking in the non-combat parts.

Skills and the non-HP-involving pillars have always been D&D's weak point in my opinion and I hope that this book might offer options that fix this.

Remove ads