• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Force Damage Tastes Like

Wik

First Post
One thing that bothers me is I see no reason for thunder to be a damage type...it's the same as bludgeoning, but with air. Pointless IMHO.

Thunder is what "Sonic" was in 3e. It's noise damage - coupled with a shockwave.

For what it's worth, "bludgeon" and "bludgeon with air" are two entirely things. The second bit could more reasonably be called "Concussion" or "Shockwave", and it affects your body completely different.

A blunt injury could break bones, bruise skin, or whatever else. A concussive wave will cause bruises, but not break bones. But it can cause massive pressure changes in your body that burst blood vessels or the alveoli in your lungs. It's why people take blasting very seriously on a construction site - but walk around without hardhats like geniuses when some guy is a hundred feet above using a hammer.

I think equating force with kinetic energy, or ye olde "force field"s is the most problematic way of handling it. It just doesn't work in an edition where all damage has a type and bludgeoning is already taken. We have bludgeoning, and we have thunder (sonic)--we need "force" to be something different.

Some good suggestions on this thread. I'm personally a fan of the "pure magic" interpretation. I imagine that it strikes you and penetrates your flesh, causing wounds that are something akin to burn wounds, but cleaner. "Burning" is pretty generic. We have fire, acid, lightning, and radiant burning already. Magic force burns wouldn't leave charring or similar features. They'd just sort of leave striated burn marks that lacked the signatures of the other types of damage. So perhaps that is a bit like micro-disintegrations.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It's kind of hard to compare raw magical energy to anything since in reality there is nothing to compare it to...

I like the idea that it is everything and anything, mutable and unknowable. Perhaps it is never the same twice, or perhaps each spell effect is unique. Perhaps a magic missile feels completely different from an eldritch blast.

Right. It is unknowable..My thought that it was a "colored light" was simply because the spell effects using "force damage" are generally considered visible effects. (Does Disintegrate still involve a green beam?)

But what my thought was, more accurately, regarding using "light" as the description, is that "force" can be analogous to WHITE (full/pure) light, as opposed to/not the prismatic segments one gets when harnessing/directing the energy (i.e. casting a different spell with a different/specific damage type). That and that you can say it acts as a particle and a wave. :D SO the x-ray/microwave damage angle still works...the "it's its own unique thing" stills works...and the "it's like a force field" still works since, we don't have those either, so why not. But it's not, specific and only, that, it's magic...it's "raw arcane energy" that hasn't been put through the prisms and gels and filters [that are the spells] that take that raw/pure/"white" energy to MAKE it a specific size/shape of "fire" or "lightning" or "necrotic."

One thing that bothers me is I see no reason for thunder to be a damage type...it's the same as bludgeoning, but with air. Pointless IMHO.

I think they were just going for a non-scientific term for "sonic" damage. They've used "Lightning" instead of "electricity" practically since the beginning of the game. Makes sense they'd take "sonic" and also make it simple/non-sciencey...and "thunder" is actually a really good phrase for that/thinking of it that way.

What's always bothered me is that, again since the beginning, it has been "Fire" damage and "Cold" damage...Not "heat" and "cold" and not "fire" and "ice"...yes, cold damage is caused by ice-based attacks...but it's just not...,technically, correct.

Edit: I like Jester Canuck's take that force whould be folded into the non-magical damages bludeoning/piercing/slashing depending on the form the magical attack takes. I suppose it is separate just to keep it easy to track what things have resistance/vulnerability/immunity to magical attacks.

I concur it would/could "make sense" to do it that weay. I think more, however, that it be important to maintain the more magical/fantasy stuff as much as possible...and forcefields, telekinetic bolts, energy bolts of nonspecific immeasurable energies are definitely a fantasy magical thing that we expect. Thinking of it as straight kinetic energy works...well, let's be honest, thinking of it in any way you want works. It's sorcery in a fantasy world. But then, if all it is is a "magic punch" like several have proposed, then why isn't it "thunder" damage?

As I recall an explanation in some Marvel product (might have been the FASERIP RPG, actually) in describing telekinetic powers to explain forcefields and telkinetic bolts and such, they called it "a hardening of the air"...like solidifying the gaseous atoms...which also explained why it was generally invisible. That could work for one's interpretation I suppose..."Force is a hardening of the air" (but then isn't that just creating sound waves a.k.a. thunder damage?).

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've generally think of it as "pure kinetic" energy, it doesn't dissipate or spread in the same way normal objects interacting due, because there s nothing for the target to push back against.

I've also thought of it as spiritual, soul energy, attacking the metaphysical aspects of creatures.

Love the antimatter, weakening nuclear forces interpretation as well though.

Generally tastes like victory though :p

ccooke

Adventurer
I've ended up using a little sheet to help me narrate damage better. I posted a version of it here about a year ago - basically, it's a set of words to use in descriptions of the damage done, based upon some conditions. Here's the section on Force damage:

Force
  • Resistance OR >50% hp: sting, some use of Physical Block
  • Vulnerable OR <50% hp: tearing through, impact, agony, trembling, twitching
  • 0 hp: smashed, punctured, paste, rupture

"Physical Block" is a common set for all the physical damage types, and a few of the magical ones. I only use it for targets that are still pretty fresh, and tend to narrate it as the target blocking the attack or taking it on armour, but visibly reacting to the damage of the blow. I fall into the camp of "basically unmarked if at >=50%hp, minor wounds at <50%hp, immediately taken out with a critical injury that you just weren't able to avoid at 0%hp" camp.

The physical block section was:

Physical Block
  • Resistance OR >50% hp: Wrench, Ringing blow, strain, scrape, stagger, falter, lurch, waver, shaking, struggle

Basically, the attack hit and has drained some of the ability of the target to avoid blows.

The full post is at http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?358494-Narrating-hit-point-damage if anyone is interested

Scorpio616

First Post
I see some folks interpret D&D Force damage with the Newtonian concept of force.

I view as the same sort of magical energy/material that makes a Wall of Force doing a number on the tissues of the target, somewhere between all the physical damage types and pulling the matter of the target apart at a microscopic level.

So a Magic Missile, the little wedge of force pierces in, spin around like a bender blade then then blows apart.

So someone severely overkilled via force would be a pile of red mush unless the spell has other plans for the body like Disintegrate.

Last edited:

Remove ads