• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What FR books would I need to have read to run GoDSC?

Halivar

First Post
I'm thinking about running Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, but have never one run anything in the Forgotten Realms. In fact, my only contact with that setting heretofore is the game Baldur's Gate and the Drizz't novels.

I picked up the 1st Edition FR boxed set and the 3.5 setting guide at 2nd & Charles, and I notice that a lot of the information is out of date. In particular there are changes in the pantheon, I think?

What books will help me get up to speed on the Realms as they are at GoDSC?

I was also thinking about grabbing some old Sword Coast adventures and converting them to put in the game also, if they'd help flesh out that area and maybe make it a little more sandbox-y. Any suggestions?

EDIT: The only one I could find was N5: Under Illifarn, which also takes place in Daggerford.

Last edited:

thewok

First Post
If it's like Murder in Baldur's Gate, the module itself will include all the background you need to know in order to run the module.

Halivar

First Post
Oh, yeah, it does indeed have everything I need to run the adventure. I'm looking for material that will help me if players "leave the reservation", so to speak. Material that will fill in for missing XP, and flesh out the area the players are in.

Halivar

First Post
So I went ahead and got N5: Under Illefarn, and I think it will complement GoDSC nicely. For one, it has a very detailed write-up of Daggerford, and its adventure places/plots/NPC's look quite easily connectable with GoDSC. The only weird parts are the ones where certain adventure locales would have to do double duty due to specific usage in both modules.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
GoDSC refers to an unpublished manuscript Under Illefarn Anew by Eric L Boyd (see page 134) as forming part of the source material for the adventure. Eric kindly posted a lot of material for his home campaign at Candlekeep which I suspect also formed part of Under Illefarn Anew.

If you are interested, go to this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3803&whichpage=33

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]and start with the post with Antharzyreph, “Scourge of Axe and Arrow” as the topic.[/FONT][/FONT]

Remove ads