• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Game/Music combo does this picture make you want to play?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
geez, what is it with gamers and metal?

I'm gonna be a game hipster, here.

Council of Wyrms. Coupled with the soundtrack for Skyrim.

It's the image of the volcanic lightning, man...

A different image, I might have suggests Ben Harper or Kaki King. Or something else entirely!

Wik

First Post
It's the image of the volcanic lightning, man...

A different image, I might have suggests Ben Harper or Kaki King. Or something else entirely!

There seems to be a huge disparity though, in the number of metalhead gamers and the number of metalheads in the general public. This coming from an ex-metalhead, mind you.

imurphy943

First Post
Metal and D&D just seem to go together. In most other situations, I'm a classic rock guy, even a Dead fan, but when I want to get pumped for my game I go to Motorhead, AC/DC, and Pantera.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Metal and D&D just seem to go together.

Part of that is the musicians themselves- there are a lot of metalheads who played or still play D&D- see Austin, Texas' own The Sword- or who have similar reading tastes. Iron Maiden did an album based in Frank Herbert's Dune, and almost any metal head on these boards could name a dozen songs featuring imagery from classical mythology, heroic legends, fantasy, sci-fi or horror.*

* For example:

Iron Maiden "Flight of Icarus"
Bruce Dickensen "Cyclops"
Metallica "Call of Ktulu"
Yngwie J. Malmsteen "I am a Viking"
Dokken "Dream Warriors"
Black Sabbath "Disturbing the Priest"
Deep Purple "Burn"
Metal Church "Watch the Children Pray"
The Sword "Tres Brujas"
Tony Iommi & Henry Rollins "Laughing Man in the Devil Mask"
Mötley Crüe "Shout At The Devil"
King Diamond "Abigail"

I could list the entire catalog of certain bands, but...

Last edited:

imurphy943

First Post
I think it's also the attitude of heavy metal, fantasy influences aside. Ozzy, Iommi, Ward, and Butler came from many of the same musical roots and substances as Jimi Hendrix (I used to have a bootleg of them playing 'spoonful', from before they were Black Sabbath), but then went tougher and added in some horror. Creedence did 'Fortunate Son', Black Sabbath did 'Children of the Grave'.

D&D is a mish-mash of all kinds of fantasy influences, so you get restless adventurers, heroic barbarians, cosmic horror, and kicking cosmic horrors in the face. When you look at a mish-mash of heavy metal, with Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Pantera, Metallica, Judas Priest, et all, the feeling you get is a rejection of complacency, an ode to the primal manliness, messages of a dark and scary world and the badassness of the individual. Even if Dragonforce had never existed, I could tell that these things go together.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, Latvian Folk Metal (as shown by Skyforger)...

Because, as we all know, Latvian folk metal is oh-so-different from the Estonian and Lithuanian varieties. :hmm:

When you split hairs too fine... well, you have split ends - not good when hair is so important to your music. :)

Argyle King

Legend
I am admittedly a metal head. It's not the only thing I listen to while gaming (or otherwise) though. I'm also fan of the soundtracks from The Elder Scrolls series, Gregorian chant, mandolin music, Johnny Cash, and others. Something about the picture in the OP simply said metal to me. I was imagining either some sort of demon/devil rising up out of a hellish portal (hence why I also chose the game product I did) to do battle with the PCs.

Speaking of Gregorian chant, I suppose this would have been a good choice as well:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sEjSEoq-MU]Gregorian - Hell's Bells - YouTube[/ame]

Remove ads