• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What goes well with Goblins?

ZeroGlobal2003

First Post
I got going on this idea for a place in my campaign world, used a lot of cool ideas from the thread. Its not done yet, just a rough sketch... I'm thinking a city with squat colorless buildings, but with large brightly colored tents and awnings (in light colors so they are still obvious at night).

The goblins of _________ right giant bats, the rare offspring of normal bats. In order to keep in supply of mounts, they keep a number of bats as pets and as food. Also used for food is a kind of domesticated weasel, which they use for milk and for furs that they traded to passing orc tribes in exchange for herbs and dyes. They raise their bat mounts in a cave complex under the city, which has brought them into contact with a clan of duergar, with whom they trade vegetables and leather goods for minerals and finished weaponry.

The city itself is founded around the ruins of a tower which dates to before the Old Kingdoms, and from the ruins it was a magical research or construction facility. Massive statues that may once have been animated cover much of the ruins. Humanoid in shape, most stand between twelve and fifteen feet tall, and feature armored designs. Now the goblins use them mostly as intimidating decorations, with the exception of a pair of working shield guardians whose control amulet was found in the rubble. The control amulet has become the emblem of the chief of ________, and is passed down from one chief to the next.

The dominate religion in the city is that of a goblin deity of water and sun. Although she takes a nurturing role in their pantheon (due to her connection to growing plants), she is a harsh deity that the goblins appease rather then venerate. Her clerics are lead by goblin that has been reincarnated as a human, a fact the city often uses for its advantage. Their devotion has led the goddess to grant them a medium water elemental, which is under the clerics’ control.

The city itself is built around the base of the ruined tower, while the chief’s home and the caves they keep the mounts in are inside and below the ruins. The tower is located in the base of a small valley that runs north to south, which keeps the whole town in shadow for the majority of the day. The valley walls provide excellent building materials, and the goblins have quarried the grey stone to build their squat, dark homes.

I also plan to include the bit about the choker-goblin link. Thats awesome.

Zero

Selenim

First Post
I have a pretty big sharran goblin tribe in my game that rides on shadow mastiffs. With a few invisibility potions a group can hide along with their mounts. The scouts use dire bats to locate enemy forces.

The fear inducing howl is pretty nasty when a pack herds the prey into traps or ambushes.

I don't have any goblin lycanthropes but I do have a few forest gnomes who got bitten by a werehyena :]

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Merc,

You have one machanchain, how about TWO?! Instead of just Githzerai, you also have a small band of Githyanki who are ALSO creating a race of blues. (Think of the ep on Star Trek were the Klingons and Kirk fought covertly against each other using the planet's citizenry.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads