• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What good is a "ranged basic" attack?

zlorf

First Post
Such as OA's ..right?

Cheers
Z

Arabesu said:
There are actually several powers that force you to take basic attacks, I omitted them because they are usually not what you want to do...

Confusion for example.

Frumious

Explorer
Mort_Q said:
There are powers is a power that other players can use that grant a free immediate "ranged basic" attack to allies in range. There are also items the key to "ranged basic" attack.

• Stir the Hornet’s Nest (War 25)
  • Bracers of the Perfect Shot (Item)

I suspect there are more to come.

And sooner than you'd think!

This ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080618 ) new Dragon article on the Wolves of Maldeen has a new Paragon Path Encounter power that allows basic attacks from an ally within 5 squares.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Contents May Vary said:
OA is melee only, not ranged.
Really?
I just assumed that a Warlock could use Eldritch blast for an OA (then again, I haven't read all the rules)
It's not possible then, correct?

WOLead

First Post
Don't forget this also allows Magic Missile and Eldritch Blast to take advantage of Bracers of the Perfect Shot. Extra damage onto either MM or EB is a nice thing to have, giving it a reason to be used over the other At-Wills a Wizard or Warlock may have.

Wepwawet said:
Really?
I just assumed that a Warlock could use Eldritch blast for an OA (then again, I haven't read all the rules)
It's not possible then, correct?

'Fraid so. Page 290, right hand column: "An opportunity attack is a
melee basic attack (page 287)."

Remove ads