• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Happened 500 Years Ago?

hoyagerv

First Post
Sorry, I didn't see Arduin's post, but he's laid it out pretty well. The King of France in 1504, however, was not Charles VIII (but it was he who began the Italian wars), rather Louis XII.

It really is a great time for adventure. At the turn the sixteenth century, Europe was primed to take the role of engine of world change and seat of ultimate power in world affairs.

Keith

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Pbartender said:
What I need, essentially, is some notes on what was going on at the time, or tips on good places to look such notes up.

You might want to pop back down to the library and see if you can get Asimov's Chronology of the World, by Isaac Asimov. It gives a nice outline of history, from the Big Bang to 1945.

pensiv

Explorer
Matt, I read a pretty good book once called "The Dawn of Decadence." Which analyzes history from 500 years ago to near present.

green slime

First Post
omokage said:
Matt, I read a pretty good book once called "The Dawn of Decadence." Which analyzes history from 500 years ago to near present.

What a strange title for a book... Suggesting that decadence didn't exist in previous ages.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just two more things to add
1. Don't get too hung up on the exact time - pretty much everything from the 15th to the 18th Century could be included and most people wouldn't know the difference

2. Read Solomon Kane (RE Howards greatest character)

3. Remember the Period is when Mercenary armies (ie Party of Adventurers) were very prominent and so could be a perfect reason for PCs to be out adventuring

read through the Story of Sir John Hawkwood a 14th Century Condottiere (mercenary in Italy)

4. Remember to limit your monster palette (fae, vampires, ghouls, werewolfs, and goblins should be heaps for Europe). More exotic monsters should be kept in Afrika and Asia

5. In the Solomon Kane Inspired World I created - Puritan England had extended its influence into northern france, but Ireland and Scotland (and newly risen Lyonesse) were now Sidhe country. The Ottomon Empire was already in Granada and threatening Vienna, bringing fell magic from the desert sands, the Grand Inqusitor had been made pope and imposed a draconian (possiby even diabolic) theocracy across southern Europe. The Americas had been bumped into and though still distant were another potential adventure area. Afrika was still dark and mysterious and access to Asia (were Griffons, Pheonix and Dragons may be found) was blocked off by the Ottomon threat(which of course the Ottomons have Djinn and maybe even Rakasha running around). Philosophy is competing with Magic, Science with Faith, and fae folk and monsters are beginning to reemerge from the shadows...

Drifter Bob

First Post
Pbartender said:
So I'm beginning research for my next campaign. Here's the idea in a nutshell...

The real world, specifically Europe, circa 1504 AD, D&D-ified.

I went and checked out a bunch of books from the library, and did some web-searches, but it's a little bit tough to find anything about the Renaissance outside of Italy.

What I need, essentially, is some notes on what was going on at the time, or tips on good places to look such notes up.

Generally speaking, it sounds like you need to look a little harder than you have been if that is all you can find

I reccomend picking up a few Osprey military books to get an idea of the wars going on at the time. These are like crib notes on historical events (wars) with emphasis on technically accurate portrayal of weapons and armor, which is useful for rpg's.

The Swiss at War, and their books about the Landsknechts areparticularly good.

As for the outside of Italy, in 1504 just "next door", Spain under Isabella and Ferdinand had just completed the Reconquista (defeat of the Moors) and was commencing the colonization and exploitation of the Americas, and had just launched the Inquisition.

There are a couple of good general works on warfare in the period.

This one is pretty good and fairly cheap

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2754093-1197445?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

This is also a good general introductory guide to life in the Renaissance, and also cheap at $13 or so

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2754093-1197445?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

DB

If you are still looking for a detailed collation of rich historical sources on the internet - let me know.

My secondary job title is 'internet research assistant', and my standing challenge remains - There isn't anything that can't be found on the internet.

If you need more sources, details, or even a 1480-1540 text primer, just let me know.

Greylock

First Post
alsih2o said:
Important note to remember- because of the rapid pace of change in the modern world I think we too often assume a HUGE difference in 1504 and 1554. But I am sure the difference is much less pronounced than 1904 and 1954.

Don't get too picky. :)

In the spirit of Alsih20's post, I'll submit a kinda new author. That would be Giles Milton. He is becoming more widely known, so it's not entirely hip to name-check him, but if you are looking for ways to get into a char's head, or mores of the time, I can help but bring up Giles Milton's work. His books span periods, but are still very useful. These include:

Samurai William, unusaual life of a sailor of early 1600's in Japan (from whence came Shogun);

Nathaniel's Nutmeg, early 1600's again, SE Pacific;

Big Chief Elizabeth, early English colonists of NAmerica. (Above 3 all true tales.);

and The Riddle and the Knight (haven't read it yet).

HTH

alsih2o

First Post
As a caveat to the "things didn't change much" approach- Things changed greatly by traveling in space more than in time.

Travelling a few hundred miles could put you in space of drastically different technology. Even a few miles could do this. Coming upon windmill perhaps? :)

Greylock

First Post
alsih2o said:
As a caveat to the "things didn't change much" approach- Things changed greatly by traveling in space more than in time.

Or both :D

Trying to imagine Samurai William in Imperial Japan now. :uhoh:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads