What happened to Morale?

G

Guest 6801328

I drifted away from D&D (and TTRPGs in general) during 3rd and 4th editions, so I'm ignorant of a lot of the history that gets us to 5e.

Why did morale checks as a mechanic not make it into 5e? It bothers me that, by default, bad guys fight to the death. Was it determined that it's easier/better to just let the DM decide if they surrender or flee?

History? Opinions?

G

Guest 6801328

The rules for Morale are in the DMG, page 273.

You are so right. I should have looked more closely.

Still, I'm curious why it's an "optional" rule and somewhat vaguely defined. And Intimidate isn't even mentioned.

It seems like Morale has somewhat fallen out of favor. Is that true?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I drifted away from D&D (and TTRPGs in general) during 3rd and 4th editions, so I'm ignorant of a lot of the history that gets us to 5e.

Why did morale checks as a mechanic not make it into 5e? It bothers me that, by default, bad guys fight to the death. Was it determined that it's easier/better to just let the DM decide if they surrender or flee?

History? Opinions?
IIRC/IMX, morale checks were a little-used feature even in 1e. (Possibly they were left over from Chainmail & the game's wargaming roots?) They mostly applied to Hirelings/Henchmen, and of course, to the unfortunate monsters that got in your way. Morale checks never applied to PCs. The groups I was in made little or no use of Henchmen & Hirelings - a generational thing, I think, older old-school wargamers seemed big on that kinda thing, and the books certainly acted like it was a thing to do. (Just not a thing we wanted to do - it was enough trouble for the DM to keep track of the monsters, and for the players to handle/RP their own PCs, without bunches of NPCs on the same side, as well.)

I thought morale had more or less vanished in 2nd, but that was the ed I gave up on by '95, and my experience with it was mainly continuing my old campaign in it, with so many variants I doubt my experience applies to the game itself, as written.

But, in 3.0, I'm more confident in saying, the game shifted very clearly to making PC, NPC, and Monsters more mechanically similar. NPCs had their own classes, and monsters got some feats PC didn't, and so forth, but monsters could have class level, and everybody could put ranks in skills, take feats, cast spells, etc... Given that apparent design philosophy, if there had been a Moral system, it likely would have had to have applied to PCs, and I doubt that would've gone over well. So morale just joined the many other nebulous 'keep on fighting' factors that were munged together as 'hit points.'

4e was no more inclined to make PC check morale than 3e, even though it returned rather dramatically to PCs, NPCs, and Monsters using very different rules. It did bring back morale checks in a sense, in that you could make an Intimidate check to force a bloodied foe to surrender.

5e is so wide-open to optional rules & variants, though, there should be no impediment to adding back morale checks...

...see:

The rules for Morale are in the DMG, page 273.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You are so right. I should have looked more closely.

Still, I'm curious why it's an "optional" rule and somewhat vaguely defined. And Intimidate isn't even mentioned.

It seems like Morale has somewhat fallen out of favor. Is that true?

Non-optional morale rules were probably required in systems that were a great deal deadlier and more punishing than more modern rules sets. Being able to force a rout by taking out a leader or the like (I don't really remember the rules from way back when, sorry) would be a good strategy to avoid having to take on a whole host of monsters coming at you for stealing their gold.

G

Guest 6801328

Non-optional morale rules were probably required in systems that were a great deal deadlier and more punishing than more modern rules sets. Being able to force a rout by taking out a leader or the like (I don't really remember the rules from way back when, sorry) would be a good strategy to avoid having to take on a whole host of monsters coming at you for stealing their gold.

That's exactly what I was just thinking. 5e is so un-deadly (by default) that you generally want to kill everything rather than let them run away. In older editions HP were more precious.

And, yes, I was not thinking of applying morale to PCs. In line with my philosophy about Warlords, I believe the character's thoughts belong to the player, not the dice, "unless magic".

I guess I yearn for the days when combat was scary, and chasing away monsters was as good or better than fighting them.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I guess I yearn for the days when combat was scary, and chasing away monsters was as good or better than fighting them.
3e players would sometimes use a variant, E6, that capped most progress at 6th level, to retain a certain feel and avoid certain problems.

IMX, 5e is plenty deadly at 1st level. You could come up with an E1 variant for 5e...

Same for my experience, even at higher levels. When there are two or more PCs making death saves or close to it, and the healer is scrambling, it feels scary enough.

I think the scariness of 1e/2e comes from where most of us were back then as gamers. We didn’t have as good an idea of what all the monsters did, what they were (okay, and all the insta-death things waiting to kill you). They were mysterious and terrifying. With 5e, my one group was utterly terrified of the vampire that was out there (they didn’t even have to fight her) because no one knew what she was capable of doing.

But back in the day, I remember starting off using morale, but slowly just making it an organic decision rather than a dice mechanic. These days, I will have certain monsters and foes lose heart and make a run for it, from time to time.

IMX, 5e is plenty deadly at 1st level. You could come up with an E1 variant for 5e...

jasper

Rotten DM
I used morale in 1E. Sometimes it had weird effects. Oh noes the pc just killed two of us orcs, let us surrender and forget we in the pay of a red dragon. ETC.
I do not miss it. Maybe Morrus could have some do an article about it?

Remove ads