• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What happened to the errata/corrige?

Remathilis

Legend
Staffing is likely a big issue. Finding the time to do that stuff with so few people. They have to check each monster, which is likely time consumng. As a non-time sensitive project its likely always moved to the bottom of the pile.
Ah yes, they're so busy writing new supplements, updating the OGL, finishing the basic rules DM doc, preparing the OotA basic rules supplement, and getting the fan material publishing rules together they don't have the time to finish the errata.

Li Shenron

Legend
Which, quite frankly, they probably are glad to do seeing as how as soon as they do release errata there's always another huge blow up of people who didn't want it and are now ranting about how WotC is telling them how to play their game (especially if they don't agree with the errata.) Being able to ignore a potential shitestorm is probably looked upon as a good thing on both sides of the ledger.

No I just meant errata, not rules changes. Nobody can not-want errata to be fixed.

The amount of errata in the PHB was very small, so there's even a chance that the MM and DMG - which had a few more months of editing - are near-errata-free, if it wasn't for that specific one remark by Mearls about one upcoming corrige to the MM (perhaps it was when the Sage Advice brought up the answer on unarmed attacks not being weapons?). I can't find a reference to that right now, but I remember it clearly.

If there isn't any need for errata really, it would be nice to know anyway, so that we can count on the fact that what we read in the books is 100% correct for the current edition/revision.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Going over the list: I'd limit 'errata' to math calculation errors (CR not matching Prof. bonus is excluded), the XP variance, and the missing DC on Cloud Giant.

Basing the proficiency on the CR is not a hard rule. I wouldn't include the 'errors' that refer to background math or general rules (large creature do double).

The formatting, spelling, and redundant 'damage' entries I'd correct in the next printing but not include in the player facing Errata.

For AL play, I'd consider changing CR values on the Giant Poisonous Snake and the Pixie - depending on how common the 'Pixiemancer' and 'Beastmaster with King Cobra' builds are in AL play.

Short List:
Change the resistance to weapon damage types wording to apply to all attacks - not just weapons.

HP
Horned Devil 178 (17d10 + 55) 148 (17d10 + 55)

XP for CR
Ancient Black Dragon 27,500 33,000
Ancient Blue Dragon 32,500 50,000
Ancient Green Dragon 30,000 41,000
Ancient Red Dragon 36,500 62,000
Ancient White Dragon 24,500 25,000
Ancient Brass Dragon 24,500 25,000
Ancient Bronze Dragon 30,000 41,000
Ancient Copper Dragon 27,500 33,000
Ancient Gold Dragon 36,500 62,000
Ancient Silver Dragon 32,500 50,000
Empyrean 32,500 50,000

Adult Brass Dragon Breath Weapons (Fire Breath) 49 (13d6) 45 (13d6)
Ankheg Bite 9 (2d6 + 3) 10 (2d6 + 3)

Missing DC
Cloud Giant -- 15

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
No I just meant errata, not rules changes. Nobody can not-want errata to be fixed.

We have lots of people here who don't want errata. Some are people who get upset that they now have to carry an extra sheet of paper around with them or even they feel the need to scribble the corrections in their books themselves. Others feel as though the book should have been edited more fully once they find out there were mistakes. And others DO in fact think errata changes rules from what they are using and thus get p.o.d. that they now think they have to change what they do... see the Hiding errata about being seen "clearly".

Some people are just happier never seeing errata and thus continue believing the game is correct and fine, rather than having the mistakes pointed out to them. Even if those mistakes are in places they never actually will encounter.

The amount of errata in the PHB was very small, so there's even a chance that the MM and DMG - which had a few more months of editing - are near-errata-free
I doubt they have more time to edit those. It's not like the complete text of the MM and DMG was sitting around and finished when they were editing the PHB. Large chunks of those books were written after the PHB.

Ah yes, they're so busy writing new supplements, updating the OGL, finishing the basic rules DM doc, preparing the OotA basic rules supplement, and getting the fan material publishing rules together they don't have the time to finish the errata.
Just because they're not doing books or the content we'd like doesn't mean they're free. They're likely coordinating the licencing, reviewing and editing the adventures, managing the playtests of the adventures and new crunch, and the like. Along with sitting in the usually office meetings and managing emails. Most the the D&D team at WotC is effectively management now.
Especially since they lost Rodney Thomson and didn't replace him. A lot of extra duties got spread around.

physics_ninja

First Post
I just got my monster manual and it is the 4th (with errata to the first) printing. I checked and the horned devil has 148 hp. The cloud giant still has an unlisted DC.

Remathilis

Legend
Just because they're not doing books or the content we'd like doesn't mean they're free. They're likely coordinating the licencing, reviewing and editing the adventures, managing the playtests of the adventures and new crunch, and the like. Along with sitting in the usually office meetings and managing emails. Most the the D&D team at WotC is effectively management now.
Especially since they lost Rodney Thomson and didn't replace him. A lot of extra duties got spread around.

Seems like a lot of the D&D team's daily work hasn't got much to do with D&D anymore.

Remove ads