• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What happens to a big dead animal in the Underdark?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ion said:
Is Green Slime a monster from somewhere? Or just a generally unpleasant thing to find near a dead body.. ;)

Slimes use to be monsters but 3e relegated them to being mere 'hazards'

personally I view Oozes as being giant ameoba and since irl both slimes and ameoba are protistas my logic is Slime = immobile ooze:)

Besides the giant decomposers (oozes, bugs, worms fungus etc) don't forget the noxious gases (Stink Cloud traps) given off by the rotting corpse and the possibility of infection (by microscopic oozes - treat as a poison trap)

Giant insects are high in protien so do not discount them as the normal food source for underdark citizens including dwarfs

And remember that giant bones, teeth fur and shell should be valuable treasure in its own right

Mycanid

First Post
Well, I for one must point out that we myconid would only use such a big dead beastie for two purposes.

1. Compost for growing our crops

2. Spore based animation of the corpse to protect out society

Still, the carrion crawler and the oozes are far and away the most common scavengers down here in the Underdark. humanoid type creatures don't like to go near big, dead beasties because

1. whatever killed it might be still around, and

2. things such as oozes and carrion crawlers and such hang around such things - which they usually have no desire to needlessly face off with.

Now violet fungi do in fact destroy and decompose flesh ... but they move so slowly that other things are likely to "dispose" of the bodies quicker.

Rot grubs are common too. :)

Ion

Explorer
I'm thinking of running this more like an obstacle course. The goal wouldn't be to kill all the monsters, but to make it to the other side alive. I'm just not exactly sure how to work it best.

frankthedm

First Post
Ion said:
I'm thinking of running this more like an obstacle course. The goal wouldn't be to kill all the monsters, but to make it to the other side alive. I'm just not exactly sure how to work it best.
[IMaGel]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3082/rhinobeetleanimoa4.gif[/IMaGel]A lot of Razorfang Roaches. Same stats as giant stag beetles. 20' speed, horrific bite.

Most are busy eating 'something', but will investigate with a 5' adjust & 4d6+9 bite should it be given the opportunity. Others move toward new prey at the start of the next round, taking a single action as if 'surprised". All bugs join the combat if any are atatcked. PCs must maneuver through the cavern while not getting too close or bogged down by bugs. Those who treat the cave as just another combat encounter may find themselves cut into small chunks by those bugs.

Large Vermin
Hit Dice: 7d8+21 (52 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +10 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+15
Attack: Bite +10 melee (4d6+9)
Full Attack: Bite +10 melee (4d6+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trample 2d8+3 Reflex half DC 19. The save DC is Strength-based.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 17, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 9
Organization: Cluster (2-5) or mass (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: 8-10 HD (Large); 11-21 HD (Huge)

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ion said:

Require that the PCs must climb over/through the creatures rotting corpse.

They will need to make climb checks and balance checks as they progress. Saves against nausea might also be required to start and if they happen to fall over.

Make sure the hide is slippery with the fluids of decay, broken bones can be really sharp if fallen on (spikes), poisonous gas clouds will be trying to escape (and will do if stepped on) and some parts of the hide will collapse if stood on, sinking the PC into a slimefilled pit of giant hungry giant maggots.

Those cockroaches will investigate movement as stated above

Making it a gory, coagulating race to escape

Gez

First Post
jefgorbach said:
personally never understood the GIANT part of insects/vermin UNDERGROUND considering the majority of the tunnels/paths are either small natural openings or created/enlarged by various small folk like dwarfs/kobolds/etc -- who surely would NOT create passages large enough to freely pass such dangerous annoyances. ... more likley swarms and small-medium sized vermin would be the norm.

There are many creatures that are natural dungeon builders, such as the thoqqa or the delver from the MM.

Myconids are a big help here. They locate a dead animal and basically butcher it (in the true sense of the word) and transport the meat to their fungi farm that's full of even more icky rotting flesh. While they're busy doing that, they secure the area from vermin, other carrion eaters and looters. Makes for an interesting encounter with some adventurers who are just trying to get from point A to point B.

DMH

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Humanoids are one option. If it's big enough, scavenging svirfneblin or goblins or orcs may be using it's remains.

Duergar feeding their spider mounts.

Unless it is mobile, I doubt any fungi would grow fast enough to beat the vermin and oozes to the carcass.

Also, don't forget internal parasites that burrow out upon death. IMC, dragons have a very heavy parasite load and their bodies don't last long when the suppression magic fails upon death.

Remove ads