• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What happens to wall of thorns after spell duration ends?

Hawkson

First Post
I wouldn't imagine the wall dissapears. Why wouldn't the spell function like wall of stone and be permanent?

Is it possible to make it permanent? If cast in a forest with thick brush and trees I would imagine it sticks around and the only way to get rid of it is to burn or hack it away.

Any thoughts?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hawkson said:
I wouldn't imagine the wall dissapears. Why wouldn't the spell function like wall of stone and be permanent?
It disappears without a trace, actually, based on this rule, with my emphasis:
SRD said:
Creation
A creation spell manipulates matter to create an object or creature in the place the spellcaster designates (subject to the limits noted above). If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, magic holds the creation together, and when the spell ends, the conjured creature or object vanishes without a trace. If the spell has an instantaneous duration, the created object or creature is merely assembled through magic. It lasts indefinitely and does not depend on magic for its existence.

Hawkson said:
Is it possible to make it permanent? If cast in a forest with thick brush and trees I would imagine it sticks around and the only way to get rid of it is to burn or hack it away.
No, not by itself and not via Permanency.

Hawkson said:
Any thoughts?
A few, but my wife is slowly beating them out of me. :lol:

Hawkson

First Post
Also, how do spike stones dissapear as well? I am confused on the nature of how transmute earth spells simply dissapear after 1 round/10 minutes/1 hour.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hawkson said:
Also, how do spike stones dissapear as well? I am confused on the nature of how transmute earth spells simply dissapear after 1 round/10 minutes/1 hour.
Yes, the spike stones effect ends as well. Exactly 'how' it disappears is entirely up to you. Some examples:

1. The spikes disappear in a blinding flash of greenish light (no mechanical effect).
2. The floor reforms into its former, smooth, self, giving off a crunching sound like Rice Krispies when you first pour milk on them.
3. The stone where you cast the spell ripples, like a time warp on Star Trek, and the spikes slowly fade away.

It doesn't matter how you want to describe it, but the spike stones definitely end after 1 hr/level or you dismiss them.

Plot-Device

First Post
My 2 cents.

As for the permanancy thing theres nothing that says you can't make it permanent. I mean the methods in place say you can't but they don't say you can't find new methods. Since you have wall of thorns I'll assume you're a Druid. Make a druidic version of Permanancy called Nature Will or something like that, with a new list of spells that you can make permanant. This is a bit off the beaten path but stick with me here. Ask your DM to give you points of some sort every time you do something large for a Druid. I.E. You stop the loggers. 2 Nature's Will Points. You tend to a budding forest in a ruined village, using your powers to defend it and nuture it 5 NWP. etc. Now have him assign a NWP cost to all the spells on Natures Will list. Now you have to burn some XP, and NWP to permanancy them. Sort of like your using the favor you've gained from nature to empower yon spell.

You're DM should appreciate that. And by that I mean that I would, so he should too. That might be a bit roleplaying intesive so if you aren't down, I dig.

As for the how the Spike Stones duration ends just do this:
How do you picture the spell forming. Now do that in reverse.

Hawkson

First Post
Thats similar to what I'm doing. I am playing a DragonLance campaign and undead moved into a forest while the gods and magic dissapeared for a bit. Now I am fighting them off in my spare time away from the group and I want to protect the forest by enchanting it somehow.

I have a mini hut in the middle of forest where i store some gear and I have cast hallow with remove invisibility as the spell attachment, but lately i have been getting my but kicked and I want to somehow either build or enchant the forest to be more safe for the animals, wayward strangers and myself.

Eventually I will cast shambling mounds as they are somewhat permanent, but what else could i do?

thanks

Plot-Device

First Post
First of all Druidic Defender Campaigns are prime.

You have acess to Wall of Thorns so that means you have 5ths right? Start Awakening some stuff. It's gonna bite your XP but if you can Awaken yourself 3-6 fury allies or trees that'll help a lot. The hump is the will save required for the spell, but druids have high wis and good will so it shouldn't be that hard. And if you have iron will hurrah to that.

Have any ranks in Craft(trapmaking)? If not, have a shovel? Make yourself some tiger traps around yon forest. Weave a cover out of twigs and stuff. If you're worried about animals getting stuck in it, theres 2 solutions. The first is, don't worry about it. You'll be able to check the holes often, set any broken bones, heal them and send the animal on its way. The second is a bit more complicated. Make a check to go find yourself "marked" leaves and such. Use these in the construction of the hole. Other animals will know its another animals territory and stay away. That'll help a little at least. If you're down with blowing off some 2nd level spells slots, you can cast Speak with Animals, and alert the creatures of the forest of #1 the invaders and the danger the present #2 the traps you've placed and some signs to look for the make sure they don't get trapped in them. When you get 6th's

Have you Communed with Nature yet?

How large is this force of Undead? If you have some summoning feats, you can summon a lot of decently powerful allies. Example: You could use your 5th level slot to summon 1d4+1 Lions or Dire Wolves. If you filled all your slots with Summons, you could basically summon, then run away. And by run away I mean use Wild Shape to escape no problem.

Hawkson

First Post
are there any druid spells i can download from the web? I only have the PHB and the hypertext avaialable

I have never considered the spell awaken before. If i leave the forest and then come back the trees/animals i awaken will still be communacative correct?

where can i find the druidic defender campaign?

Plot-Device

First Post
Hawkson said:
are there any druid spells i can download from the web? I only have the PHB and the hypertext avaialable

I have never considered the spell awaken before. If i leave the forest and then come back the trees/animals i awaken will still be communacative correct?

where can i find the druidic defender campaign?

I was using druidic defender campaign as a generality. My group runs them a lot. Lots of start nomadic villages, fortifying areas, whatnot. Fresh break from the dungeon crawl.

Yes, they will still be alive, and talking, and friendly towards you, provided they don't bite it while your gone.

No idea about the spells. try crystalkeep.com ?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads