• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Happens when a Fire Elemental is Dropped in Water?

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you think happens to a Fire Elemental when dunked in water? They have water aversion, which means they cannot cross/enter water, but what if it isn't their fault?

For example, in our Savage Species game last week, my Fire Elemental Barbarian ended up on a bridge when he was hit with a harpy's song. He failed his Will save vs the song. He failed his will save when the most direct route led him over the edge of the bridge. He failed his reflex save to catch the bridge when he realized there was water below him. Thus, one dunked Fire Elemental.

We really weren't sure what whould happened to him, since the books say nothing about water actually doing damage, just that they have to avoid it. We temporarily ruled that he just freaked out. He had enough weight for him to sink to the bottom then run along the riverbed. We rolled each round on a grenade scatter chart to see which direction he ran. He ran 480ft up stream before he turned into a wall. Then he made his intelligence check to realize he could get out of the water by climbing. It took him a bit of time and a gallon of skumble to calm him down afterwards.

The character itself has some kind of twisted fascination with water, though. It's so pretty, and yet so scary. He rather likes his necklace of create water 3/day. It's fun to dowse his party members.

We're still not sure exactly what should happen to him the next time it happens, though. Any thoughts?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I'd treat water against a fire elemental the same way you'd treat fire to a normal creature. A water baloon would be like alchemist's fire to a water elemental.

I'd say it's like your character was human and he fell into a river of molten lava. Be glad I'm not your DM. :)

guedo79

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I'd be with Ashrem; 20d6 per round, just like lava. You got off easy! :p
I could see how you would get that from the rules but would that be best storywise? I know for a fact that George the Fire Elemental is only 3rd level so that would be instant death.

Well, I may just be a softy DM.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
ah. the dm posted through guedo's account, it seems.

yes Ashrem, I am glad.

I wasn't really sure how to answer that one, really. Seemed a little deadly for a poor 3rd level character, but it sounded likely Ashrem was right. But, do you ever really want to argue in favor of your character dieing?

Nothing wrong with softy DMs. I have a tendancy to fudge things to avoid PC deaths.

smetzger

Explorer
Well according to the rules nothing would happen. They are vulnerable to cold, not water.

Since water is an impassable barrier, how about he sinks and can take no actions while immersed.

Remove ads