• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What happens when a necklace of fireballs detonates when worn?

darthkilmor

First Post
The SRD just says :

SRD said:
If the necklace is being worn or carried by a character who fails her saving throw against a magical fire attack, the item must make a saving throw as well (with a save bonus of +7). If the necklace fails to save, all its remaining spheres detonate simultaneously, often with regrettable consequences for the wearer.

I would assume automatic failing any save, but should it be like, max damage? Coup de Gras? roll damage and add 50% ????

Ceska

First Post
I´d say it all remaining spheres explode and the character wearing the necklace must make a saving throw against every remaining sphere as if they would have been thrown at him.

darthkilmor

First Post
Ceska said:
I´d say it all remaining spheres explode and the character wearing the necklace must make a saving throw against every remaining sphere as if they would have been thrown at him.

why would you give a saving throw?

darthkilmor

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
Because it emulates the Fireball spell, which allows a Reflex save for half damage?

I guess i'm hung up on: all its remaining spheres detonate simultaneously, often with regrettable consequences for the wearer.

Seems to imply something slightly more dire. And given then nature of well, a bunch of fireballs going off around your head, would think it would be a bit more dire than just , make some saves.

domino

First Post
Some people say that if you are hit with a fireball, rather than just in the area, you don't get a reflex save. I don't know if that's a core rule or a common house rule, but if so, I'd say WEARING the Necklace of Explosive Decapitation would mean that you likewise don't get the save.

And even if you do get the saves, for most people, having multiple fireballs going off while in their blast area would be fairly dire.

Eidalac

Explorer
I'd give a save, since the spell allows it. Plus, it's going to be doing enough damage as is, I'd think.

In this case, you might think of the reflex save not as dodging the blast, but removing the necklace and tossing it aside just before it goes BOOOM.

However, in this case, I'd be tempted to disallow evasion and the like. But that would be kinda an Evil DM thing.

At any rate, RAW, the effect lets you save, so not letting them make the save would be a house rule.

Remove ads