• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What happens when

kk14

First Post
What happens when you Chain Lightning a character with several mirror images? do the extra images count as secondary targets? if an image was struck, is the lightning able to arc?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Images can count as secondary targets, yes. Remember, you choose which secondary targets you strike with a chain lightning.

If an image was the initial target, I'd allow it to arc, but I'm not sure if it's rules legal It's essentially random which image you initially strike, though.

Nail

First Post
...and BTW, I've got no issues with a DM ruling that even though the images are not valid targets by RAW, in his/her game they can be counted as targets.

I do it that way IMC. The players knew of this ahead of time.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Fair enough.

It probably is better of letting players know stuff like that in advance. I try to cover everything during the buy in (and have in the HR document) but sometimes it gets missed.

Darklone

Fun is... you target someone else with the chain lightning and it will hop to the guy with mirror image without targeting his images. :D

GorTeX

First Post
or just accept the FAQ ruling on Mirror Image that says :
For all intents and purposes, the figments from a foe’s
mirror image spell are your foes. You aim your spells and your
attacks at the figments just as though they were real creatures.
Any spell you can aim at a creature you can aim at an image.
When you use a spell that allows you to select multiple
creatures as targets, such as magic missile, you can choose
multiple images as targets.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads