• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What has been your geekiest moment?

The other night, I'm about half an hour into driving home from a game when I realize I'd left my miniature and dice cases on top of my car. I died a little inside... It was then that I fully accepted my geekdom. On the brightside, the dm braved light early morning traffic in the intersection where the dice had crashed to rescue them. No sign of the mini's case, however. I'm still in the middle of tabulating the casualties...

Any other geek moments?

sjmiller

Explorer
For me, I would have to say that one of my biggest geek moments was when I was asked to sign a copy of a book I helped playtest and wrote some material for. My name was in the book, and I was pointing it out to a friend when a store employee heard me and said I should sign the book. I did, and I think someone actually purchased the book. Not while I was there, of course, that would be too weird.

Oh, the book is GURPS Bestiary, Third Edition.

Huw

First Post
Does naming some sample computer programs after prehistoric reptiles count? (No, they weren't dinosaurs. I'm geekier than that)

diaglo

Adventurer
my old gaming group spent several months learning Klingon.

we gamed an entire 6 hour session IC and OOC in Klingon.

edit: my most embarrassing geek moment... i convinced my wife to camp out with me to see the first showing of the D&D movie. at the time i'd waited 20+ years for the release.

i'll never live that one down. i still owe her. :eek:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We had just climbed a mountain and were appreciating the absolutely gorgeous view. Then Dr. Rictus said "Man, the rendering on the sky looks terrible. What resolution do you think it is?"

And three other people agreed with him.

Huw

First Post
diaglo said:
edit: my most embarrassing geek moment... i convinced my wife to camp out with me to see the first showing of the D&D movie. at the time i'd waited 20+ years for the release.

i'll never live that one down. i still owe her. :eek:

Ouch. Similar thing happened with me, my wife and The Phantom Menace :(

Wystan

Explorer
diaglo said:

Thread over Diaglo wins and so does his group. Or is that loses?

Dragonbait

Explorer
diaglo said:

...Thank you, Diaglo. I can sleep easy now that I know that my level of geekyness is relatively normal compared to this.

:eek:

How do you say "Roll for Initiative!" in Klingon?

lukelightning

First Post
When I "came out of the gaming closet" to my boyfriend. He asked "how come you're never around on Wednesdays?" and I sheepishly admitted to playing D&D. He was actually suspicious that I was cheating on him. "Don't worry, the other man is really an elf."

Halivar

First Post
I designed an instruction set for a theoretical stack-based computer (no registers), and wrote a C-compiler for it. Then I wrote a LISP-interpreter in the C-compiler.

I am such a loser.

EDIT: Now, as it turns out, seven years later, there is new significant research into stack-based computing. I'm not just a geek, I'm ahead of my time. And, just so you know, dice-pool is the future of roleplay. You heard it here, first.

Last edited:

Remove ads