• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What has been your longest running campaign?

Agamon

Adventurer
4.5 years from '99 to '04. A homebrew. It ended a little sooner than I'd have liked, but players were being replaced and it just wasn't working anymore.

Nothing else longer than 3 years, I like to switch it up and try new things.

Dice4Hire

First Post
My longest is a Yahoo game called Lydda's Curse

Lyddas_Curse : Lydda's Curse

And the amazing part, considering this is online, is that most of the original players are still playing. This game started as our (my co-DM and I) experimental first campaign in 3E, and then went 3.5. It is not going to go 4E and if we are lucky, it will finish on or about it's 9th birthday

Or at least this story arc will. Maybe we will keep the same characters. I kind of hope so.

It's companion game, Blessing of Lydda, has laso been going well for over 5 years now.

Blessing_l : Lydda's Blessing

Treebore

First Post
Same single campaign? Same characters? Same players? Just shy of two years. Weekly. Saturdays. From 2 PM to midnight, sometimes 2 AM to 6 AM, depending on how into it everyone was.

1981 to the present for the setting (Greyhawk) and presence of some characters (now long since become NPC's).

I'm currently running three campaigns in this setting:
- #1 started in 1996. 3 out of 4 PC's were there from the beginning, converted to 3.0 and 3.5. But haven't played since about 2005.
- #2 started in 1998. Still going strong. Of the 9 PC's, 5 started in 1998, 3 are from players who joined later, and 1 is a replacement PC from the 1996-started campaign, been in use since about 1998. All PCs were converted to 3.0 and 3.5
- #3 started in 2004. 3 out of 4 PC's were there from the beginning. All are 3.5 native.

Now you can see why I'm not a fan of edition changes.

TessarrianDM

First Post
My current homebrew campaign began in November of 1998 as 2e, switched to 3e, then 3.5, and is still going. We average one 7 hour session per month, so approximately 860 hours. The PC's are now in the 14th-16th level range (though none of the active PC's were in the original party). I allow my players to retire older PC's and replace them with a character one level lower if they choose (and use the same rule for replacing dead PC's).

Orryn Emrys

Explorer
My longest single campaign ran for four years, from '99 to '03. It started as a 2E campaign, converted to 3E around 7th or 8th level... After just over 200 sessions, the characters retired at around 23rd level. Haven't run anything quite as long since... most of my campaigns are designed to last about two years, usually propelling the characters into the early- to mid-teens.

amnuxoll

First Post
I've had a couple that went 2+ years. One was weekly. The other was irregular but at least once a month.

I'd love to see something go longer but often it's my fault. I've never lived in the same city more than 6 years.

:AMN:

Loonook

First Post
Ehh... Saturday through Sunday (with time in for partying, smoke breaks, and the occasional duck out for fun with the SO) for ~ 4 years on a collegiate schedule + various meetups during breaks and such... College life was a convenient place to do such things ;). Overall, probably 12-16 hours a week... over 1400 hours all together?

40+ characters, just over a dozen players, split groups, various eras . . . and we still get together to play every once in awhile on IRC. Decades Cycle was a fun series :p. Also ran a longer campaign setting... stopped 2 years ago, so ran it for almost a decade? Though really, there was such a large amount of player shift (we would rarely reach quorum between different parties) that I wouldn't say that that would count necessarily.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A 1Ed campaign that got updated to 2Ed then 3.X Ed- started around 1985 or so, still active, but played only sporadically (1-4 times/year).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hours??? Who counts these things in hours? :)

Longest one I've run was Riveria, from August 1995 to June 2008 (with a gap in 97-98). 782 sessions. Usually two parties running concurrently, on different nights of the week, with characters now and then swapping from one to the other. 19 players total; of which two were constant from start to finish.

Why did people keep coming back? Beats me. That said, there were a few periods when the story seemed to capture some imaginations. It only ended because it collapsed under its own level (as 1e games tend to do), but even then the game would still be going at lower level if I hadn't run out of story ideas for that setting.

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads