• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What have you stolen lately for your game?

Napftor

Explorer
No, I'm not talking about actual thievery. Rather, what recent (or maybe not so recent) favorite game moment was inspired by something you saw or read? If gamers have one shared element, it is that we, perhaps unconsciously, mentally wonder how "cool" stimuli would fit into our games. Maybe as a DM, you've stolen a plot from a TV show or a combat scene from a movie. As a player, you've likely more than once based a PC on a cool character you've read in a novel or seen in the media. It doesn't even have to be a carbon copy but you know you definitely ripped it off. ;)

For me, I can recall stealing James Cameron's aliens from the film of the same name. In an early 3e game, undead plagued a farming village. When their "nest" was exposed, the ghouls were found strangely mutated, able to leap quickly, crawl on walls and ceilings, and yes even spray acid when injured. I think I even threw in the same squealing the movie aliens used and, naturally, had James Horners soundtrack for the mood music.

This is one of many elements/plots I've ripped off to good effect. Share the wealth folks--what have you stolen lately?

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Well our last session was inspired by the Aliens line of movies using Kythons (from the BoVD).
It really messed with the players' heads.

And in general, my campaign has borrowed heavily from the mid/early 90's Japanese console RPGs.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Some day I'm going to have the PCs meet, interact with and possibly even fight Mugen, Jin and maybe Bit Cloud. :p :)

Psion

Adventurer
Not exactly recent, but I ripped of the characters Morrolon and Aliera from the Vlad Taltos books lock, stock, and barrel.

Drowbane

First Post
yoink!

Napftor said:
...For me, I can recall stealing James Cameron's aliens from the film of the same name. In an early 3e game, undead plagued a farming village. When their "nest" was exposed, the ghouls were found strangely mutated, able to leap quickly, crawl on walls and ceilings, and yes even spray acid when injured. I think I even threw in the same squealing the movie aliens used and, naturally, had James Horners soundtrack for the mood music...

That is awesome... consider it stolen. :D

Napftor

Explorer
Shadoglare said:
Hmmm.. last couple adventures had moments ripped off from the films Pitch Black and Event Horizon...

May I asked what you used from Event Horizon? I always thought that movie had such potential at the start before devolving into the gore- and blood-fest that it was. Great premise, bad execution. What I was able to steal was the laughable line, "Where we're going we don't need eyes." Oddly, I could never picture Sam Neill being evil unless my imagination superimposed a velociraptor on either side of him.

Skyman

First Post
In a game of Lone Wolf I made a mercenary based heavily on Bronn from the Song of Ice and Fire series. Grizzled, with a sharp tongue and black sense of humor, lank hair and stubble, wearing light armor and using whatever weapon was appropriate for the job at hand.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I think my next character might match some anime character. I just haven't settled on Bleach, Trinity Blood or perhaps Ergo Proxy (thinking Real Mair's partner, the Autoreive)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads