What Hooked You into the Genre?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I was hooked by the first sci-fi book I ever read, which I found in my dads briefcase when I was about 10.

Gray Lensman by E E Doc Smith.

I went on to read Galaxy Primes, the Vortex Blaster, the Skylark of Space series, other Lensmen books...

After my introduction by the 'Doc', I discovered A E van Vogt and others, and never looked back from there. Thank you, public library system.

Cheers

For fantasy, it was my older brother's copy of The Hobbit in the mid-80s, followed a few years later by the Pool of Radiance and Ultima V CRPGs on the C64.

For science fiction, it was the German Mark Brandis series of novels. I think the Captain Future animated series came next, together with the old Star Trek TV series, followed by the Star Wars original trilogy.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Pictures from the original Monster Manual and the cover from A Spell For Chameleon. Images of my childhood before I could read.

The Hound

Explorer
Sometime in the late 70s I read the Lord of the Rings and got hooked on fantasy. Then around 1979 or so I stopped in a few times at a session of a college games club where someone was running a game of something called "dungeons and dragons" where you could be a fantasy character and act out adventures like those in the fantasy books - a storytelling and combat game that was radically different than any game I had ever played before. Soon afterward a fraternity brother started to DM a game whenever he could get some players together, and as soon as I was familiar enough with the rules I started DMing too.

I think, for me, it was a lot of different things coming at just the right age.

When I was really young--like kindergarten--my dad told me bedtime stories (as, of course, many fathers did). Mine, however, starred me. In these stories, my hobby horse would come to life and fly me to different places to have adventures with my favorite characters. Luke, Han, and Leia; Spiderman; you name it.

(I still credit these stories with starting me on the path to becoming a writer.)

Star Wars, around the same age.

D&D (both game and cartoon) and Feist's Riftwar in late elementary school.

Dragonlance and The Belgariad in middle school.

Of course, there were lots of others around those times, and a zillion and one since. But thinking back as best as my feeble memory allows, those were the seeds of it all.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
So are they still as good as you remember? I've been meaning to re-read all of them, but I have an irrational fear of tainting the memory if they don't live up to the initial experience!

Well, reading them as an adult, it's obvious that they were written with a younger reader in mind. But, I still find the stories interesting. Same thing with the Narnia books (especially The Magicians Nephew - my favorite!) Even today I find myself identifying with Calvin. They're written in a simple prose, but there's still enough meat there for readers of any age.:)

p.s.: I've always wanted to make a Tesseract spell for D&D...

Last edited:

For me it was Star Wars, the original.

It was fall of '86. I was 7 years old. I didn't see the SW movies in the theaters originally because I was too young (and not even born when Ep. IV came out). A kindly old gentleman next door was sitting on his back porch watching me play. He called me over to talk to me.

We chatted a lot, he asked me about what movies I liked and what TV shows I liked. He was the patriarch of a prominent local family and owned the local radio station, a video store, and several other businesses.

My birthday was coming up in a couple of weeks, and he surprised me with a copy of the original Star Wars trilogy, which I only knew in passing from action figures and the old vector-graphic arcade game. I watched those tapes almost every day, and it captured my 8-year-old imagination.

I'm now 32, and it still hasn't let go (looks over at the dozens of SW RPG books, miniatures, DVD collection, video games. . .).

Haltherrion

First Post
When I was really young--like kindergarten--my dad told me bedtime stories (as, of course, many fathers did). Mine, however, starred me. In these stories, my hobby horse would come to life and fly me to different places to have adventures with my favorite characters. Luke, Han, and Leia; Spiderman; you name it.

Very nice- as a gamer that's the type of stories I tell my boys. We've a full range of stories from dad's own creations (mine) to cribbing off of popular fiction. Yoda-pooh and Michael-won are enjoying a long run at present. I don't always feel creative in the evening so we alternate with LOTR (finished it a few months ago) and Hobbit (in progress now).

Maybe I'll get a budding writer out of it as well :)

Remove ads