What I did about burnout

ayrwind

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Sorry, I couldn't hack Storyteller-based games. The task resolution is one too many extra steps to determine not just success or failure but a degree of it. I mean, to perform a task, DM must give you the target number. You then count the total "dots" of two relevant traits (attribute + skill, or just attribute), roll that number of d10s, count the number of dice that meet or beat the target number, and you have a number of successes. You only need one die that meet or beat the target number to succeed. Any extra is just a degree of greater success.

I still havent gotten my new World of Darkness books yet (a few more hours to go before they unload to my FLGS hopefully), but i think they have seriously streamlined the WoD storyteller system to something easier and less clunky. hopefully it would address some of the problems of the old system that u raised... :)

Tumbler

First Post
As a player and especially as a GM, I love to play with different systems and different settings. My current group pretty much prevents this, though. I have one player who hates future tech, one who hates firearms in fantasy, one who hates settings that aren't pseudo European, and one who is up for anything. So while I want to play a supers game or a wild west game or whatever, I pretty much can't and have to stick with the basics.

That said, I find it pretty easy to ignore the default assumptions of DND and still use the game to run different settings pretty fluidly.

In my current campaign, which is loosely based in Ravenloft, but not really because I am ignoring the whole demiplane darklords domains thing for the most part, there is no good aligned arcane magic, characters have no desire to venture into caves or sewers or other dark dangerous places (though they are frequently compelled to), and a leatherbound travel journal is a more valuable treasure than a +1 sword. Taking a carving knife to the rules and making it clear to the players what my expectations are while allowing them to direct the actions of the campaign has given me the best campaign I've run in years, and everyone is having a great time.

Reading something Monte Cook wrote about the default assumptions of the game really stuck with me, and a few tweeks can make things very different.

jester47 said:
I typically just go for a run, or row for a while.

That seems to work.

Aaron.

That's pretty funny, because I tend to recharge my D&D batteries rowing from the U.W. marina. Something about all the reeds and lilies in the Arboretum...*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

jester47

First Post
Prince of Happiness said:
That's pretty funny, because I tend to recharge my D&D batteries rowing from the U.W. marina. Something about all the reeds and lilies in the Arboretum...*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

I row out of LWRC fremont. Just sitting off of fox point watching the sun rise with the mountains in the distance does a lot for me. If that does not work then its a hike. When I am feeling brave I will take my racing shell to the arboretum. Thats nice too.

Aaron.

wizofice

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
I LOVE d20 modern. The base classes allow you to truly build a character based on history and personality without railroading your character into a certain path. Each class can have several different feels and with multi-classing there is little than you cannot do.

Could you give me an example? I look at it much like the original poster does. Mutants & Masterminds I can see being very flexible since you've got interesting powers and don't have to wait until level seven or higher (it seems to me) to gain superpowers, magic abilities, etc.

KnowTheToe

First Post
You want simple and quick RPing, go buy Bot Hill or for the most part any other old RPG. Remember when rule books were less than 70 pages. It was before we all became power whores and needed consistant rules to base our dreams on. Instead of house rulig everything and creating your own feel, D20 and most newer games have almost every possability already ruled for you. The benefit is the power gamers and rule loving lawyer types are happy and they are well thought out and designed games. The neg is they can cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars and are very restrictive.

jester47 said:
I row out of LWRC fremont. Just sitting off of fox point watching the sun rise with the mountains in the distance does a lot for me. If that does not work then its a hike. When I am feeling brave I will take my racing shell to the arboretum. Thats nice too.

Aaron.

Is Fox Point more by Ballard or more towards Lake Union?

I live on Capitol Hill with perfect view of the mountains and the Space Needle, so if I need inspiration that does in a pinch as well. There was this one time in winter two years ago (the weird foggy one) where the sun was going down behind the mountains, really red. It sunk lower and just this one valley gave off this really eerie red glow. BAM! Adventure idea. :]

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Sebastian Ashputtle said:
I don't know...maybe a classless system would work better for a Modern game.

Hmm... Yes and no. Indeed, classless might be the best for a modern game, but d20 Modern without classes wouldn't be d20 anymore. IMO, D&D (and d20, which evolved from D&D) has to have classes. One of the few things you couldn't do away with (levels is another). Even if you only have two (like Call of Cthulhu d20 - Offensive Option and Defensive Option).

That said, the base classes in d20M are the next best thing to a class-less system: Classes that are very general, giving you only the general direction your character takes. IMO quite an elegant way to handle modern games and still keep the spirit of d20

Remove ads