• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What I Learnt From Last Night's Session

Horses die really easily!

I am running the players through the Dungeon adventure "Racing the Snake". The party were guarding a merchant's daughter from a Yuan-Ti assasin and his kobold minions (in reality the PC's are just providing a decoy).

The "daughter" was hidden in a carriage drawn by 2 horses and the PC's were also all riding horses. 2 Fireballs later and the carriage is a flaming wreck and the 2 horses drawing the carriage are also dead.

The kobold that cast the Fireballs tries to escape. One PC shoot down his horse, slowing his escape, and the Sorcerer PC Fireballs the kobold to death. Shortly after, the Yuan-Ti and another kobold attack the party at range with longbows. The Yuan-Ti is on a chariot drawn by 2 light warhorses and kobold has another light warhorse.

After a few rounds of combat, the Yuan-Ti and kobold decide to drop back a bit. No way says the party. A few arrows later and the kobold's horse it taken out from under him. After many more rounds of battle, the Yuan-Ti and kobold try to escape together on the chariot. A Fireball and a couple more arrows later and 1 of the horses is killed, effectively immobilising the chariot.

Eventually the Yuan-Ti escaped on the back of the remaining light warhorse, healing it as he fled. However the Yuan-Ti was really only able to escape because the PC's let him (they don't want to kill him, otherwise their decoy ruse will be discovered). If they had wanted to, they could have shot the horse out from underneath him too.

After last night's session I can't see horses playing a very big part in the campaign from here on in. They seem way too easy to kill. They have low AC's (unless you give them really good barding) and their hit points aren't enough to help them when someone drops a couple of Fireballs at their feet.

Has anyone else had this experience? Has it resulted in fewer PC's riding horses in your game? Have you changed the rules to make horses less of a target?

Olaf the Stout

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
I've had a similar experience involving an unarmoured lowrider and a grenade launcher. Bye-bye left front wheel.

So, what's the fantasy equivalent of an armoured car?

How about golems or large gargoyles in the shape of a horse / other rideable beast? Do it with a rock golem and you've got a steed that can take a bunch of arrows / fireballs without going down.

And what naturally armoured creatures could be broken in and used as riding beasts? Riding dinousaurs, anyone? Build an armoured howdah, strap it to the top of a big tough herbivore like a Triceratops, proceed. Not very fast, but hard to stop.

... just thought I'd throw out a couple ideas.

Kurashu

First Post
This is gonna sound really funny. But in my chief group, we always used badgers. And when our mage got a Serpent's Staff (or whatever it is), we started singing the Badger, Badger, Badger song.

Aeric

Explorer
I played in a game once where I didn't even bother giving my horses names, just numbers. I think I got up to "12" by the end of the campaign.

Squire James

First Post
Awakened mounts make interesting NPC's. In my current game a Heavy Warhorse Fighter is gaining a full share of XP as an allied NPC, which is all worth it due to his effectiveness when combined with the Cavalier PC... the horse has as many HP as the rider does, and manages to add a lot of lance damage to the mix. The Adamantine Full Plate Barding and Armor Specialization combines for a nice DR 5/- as well. I once had a dragon decide the Horse Had To Die, because he was providing the rider with too much mobility and damage potential for the dragon's tastes. Did I meantion the horse has Diehard too? He... wouldn't... go... down!

Once Fireballs start getting thrown around you can say goodbye to most of your regular animal mounts. My group is 6th and 7th level, so they aren't too powerful, yet most of them could take out an enemy's horse in a round or 2 without much effort.

Mounted combat wouldn't happen most of the time because the mounts wouldn't live to actually make it into combat.

Olaf the Stout

icedrake

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
There really needs to be a system to upgrade mounts for characters other than paladins, rangers and druids.
Completely agree. There should be a feat that enables a person to get access to a limited animal companion list at 1/2 their character level (just like the ranger). A druid could not take the feat, but a ranger could, boosting their animal companion level to their level instead of 1/2 their level.

It would also provide people with a simulated wild empathy, limited to their char mod instead of level + cha.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads