• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What I like in a sourcebook

Frilf

Explorer
Hey!

I was just curious to see what the good folks on the boards here like in a fantasy sourcebook. There has been a lot of debate about this area, but I'd like to get a good idea (at least for myself). So, here is the issue for consideration:

If you could create the ultimate setting sourcebook, what would you include and why?

Any responses would be keenly appreciated!

Cheers!
Ian

Crothian

First Post
I like two things of the top. The first is something I can use in my game right now. THe second is something smart and creative. I don't need new rules, but I like new rules. I don't need great descriptions, but I like them.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I I like creative supplements that force me to think. Supplements with hidden adventure seeds on every page, and inspirational material wrapped around game mechanics, are some of my favorites. Examples:

The Magister -- Page after page of inventive items. You can almost flip to any page and base an entire adventure off of ideas on the page.

The Ilithiad -- Bruce Cordell doesn't get nearly enough respect but this book is a work of genius. Even if you don't like mind flayers this book should get your mind to wondering just what would happen if you introduced them to your campaign. The nod to Spelljammer was appreciated.

Advanced Bestiary -- Green Ronin's FAT book of templates has inspired several adventure ideas. If I'm stumped I can open the book, flip around for a few minutes, and come up with two or three ideas.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Two choices:

1) Find a niche that hasn't done something RIGHT before, and really do it right. And by that, I don't mean something 5 percent different -- it needs to be significantly more right. If you thought, say, The Quintissential Kobold III missed the boat, don't give me QK3.1.

2) Do something new. Contrary to popular belief, there's a LOT of uncovered territory in D20 and roleplaying games in general. And while new is no guarantee of financial success, it certainly can be, if it's a compelling new -- Flying Buffalo did pretty well with Grimtooth's and the CityBooks, after all.

Meloncov

First Post
I would like to see The Bard's Songbook, a collection of poems and songs designed for use in a RPG. All of the poems/songs would be arranged in such a way that minor changes could easily be made to them to adapt them to varying circumstances.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Crisp clean writing. Elegant layouts with amazing art.

With the combination of those two any half-baked regurgitated idea should suffice.

Though, I am attracted to interesting environments that are extrapolated upon logically. I don't enjoy having 'things' there for the sake of being there.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Whether or not you like the specific content, I think many people would agree that the Eberron Campaign Setting hardcover is the perfect setting sourcebook.

Psion

Adventurer
Setting sourcebook?

1) Well, I am a tough sell for new full-blown settings, so the first rule there would be, make it usable with my campaign.

In addition to adhering with typical D&D conventions, this means things like describing what kinds of organizations and deities would fit in the place of placeholders in your game.

2) As a GM, it should give me ideas for adventures, campaigns, and challenges. This means that PrCs should make interesting villains or otherwise suggest their use in a game (and good background goes a long ways here). Monsters should have adventure seeds and campaign use ideas.

3) Don't make lots of work for me; make me want to use it but also make it useable out of the box. Include sample templated creatures and NPCs for new prestige classes.

4) Use evocative art that really conveys what you are after.

5) If there is a way around it, don't make new skills. If there is not, make sure you don't repeat the all too common dough headed mistake of not describing which classes have the skill as a class skill.

6) The real task -- fits existing D&D material, but break new ground. This is where Second World Sourcebook shined IMO. This is where way to many fantasy settings fail, IMO.

Probably too vague, but there you go.

Crothian

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
Whether or not you like the specific content, I think many people would agree that the Eberron Campaign Setting hardcover is the perfect setting sourcebook.

I must not be "many people"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads