• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What if a level 1 killed a level 40

NaturalFn20

First Post
What about 1s? I've rolled 8 1s out of the first 11 rolls of the 4th ed game I played once as a warlock. Eventually I nat 1'd 4 times in a row and the last one was to hit a campfire. the DM said "You have angered the Weave. You summoned a Fire Elemental out of the camp fire with your Eldritch Blast"

lmao. Thankfully I've never really angered the D&D gods enough to have suffered more than 2 natural 1s in a row.

Rolling D8s is another story though. I'm HORRIBLE with D8s and get 1's all the time.

I'd rather roll a d6 for damage than a d8. Pretty sad.

Axel

First Post
All you can do (as player or DM) is laugh, and make up an awesome story afterwards. Sadly I've never even scored 2 20's in a row, my best effort being a 20, then 19. At least they were attack rolls. :)

Natural 1's don't come all that often to me, thankfully. At least for attack rolls. I do have a tendency to roll single digits in long sequences (I once missed 7 consecutive attacks with a level 12 barbarian vs AC 24).

Spot rolls on the other hand...natural 1 ahoy! Say what, there's a Grell? Where???? I'm going closer to have a look.

Pergentile

Explorer
Automatically killing something with three rolls of "20" for "to hit" is a home-brew rule isn't it? RAW state that normally, the damage multiplier simply increases by one for each extra critical roll.
20=x2 Threat
20, 20=x2 with x3 Threat
20, 20, 20=x3 with x4 Threat
20, 20, 20, 20=x4 with x5 Threat

Also, since Eldritch Blast is an Invocation, it has a critical threat range of 20, but no critical fail chance unless home-brewed again, IIRC.

NaturalFn20

First Post
Automatically killing something with three rolls of "20" for "to hit" is a home-brew rule isn't it? RAW state that normally, the damage multiplier simply increases by one for each extra critical roll.
20=x2 Threat
20, 20=x2 with x3 Threat

Also, since Eldritch Blast is an Invocation, it has a critical threat range of 20, but no critical fail chance unless home-brewed again, IIRC.

Hmm, not sure really. Haven't personally read enough to say. I just know that in my group we play 20=auto hit, threatening critical if the monster can be criticaled. Another successive 20=Auto Critical if it can be criticaled and threatening instant kill. A 3rd successful 20 = Instant kill.

Can't instant kill a monster that can't be criticaled like contructs.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
By RAW, a natural 20 is just an autohit and a critical threat. Two 20s in a row only means that you've automatically confirmed the critical. Then you roll damage. That's all.

Anything that has you keep rolling d20s is a house rule.

Note that such rules are almost always to the disadvantage of the PCs. Since a PC lives longer and is subject to a lot more attack rolls over his lifetime, he has a much higher cumulative chance of eventually getting nailed by the dice gods.

the Jester

Legend
20=x2 Threat
20, 20=x2 with x3 Threat

Huh? 3e RAW says you threaten a crit on a 20 (or whatever your weapon's threat range is), and a second attack roll that hits means you inflict a crit. There's nothing about increasing the multiplier on another natural 20- although that's a cool house rule.

Also, there's no critical failure at all by RAW.

Jhaelen

First Post
I made a exp chart based off of the D&D 3.5 exp table
View attachment 47993
Actually the answer to the thread title's question is 'well, then something's fishy!'

Killing something with a CR more than 8 above your level will grant zero xp, just like killing something 8+ levels below your level. Alternatively, instantly award godhood to the level 1 character, thus taking him out of play.

SuperJebba

First Post
The variant rule for insta-kills is in the PHB. I forget exactly where it is, but it's in a sidebar. It says if you roll a 20 and then roll a 20 to confirm the critical hit, you can roll again and if you confirm the roll again, you insta-kill.

I did that to an adult black dragon with my throwing returning dwarves waraxe. It. Was. AWESOME!

Remove ads