• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what if hits drained stats

HorusZA

Explorer
As someone else already mentioned Traveller has been doing this since the 70s.
To give a bit more info: there are 3 physical stats - STR, DEX & END each of which can provide a modifier (positive or negative) to certain skills (very similar to how D&D does it). The exact implementation depends on the edition, but in general damage is applied either randomly or chosen by the player (or a bit of both) to these 3 physical stats. If one goes down to zero, you're considered wounded, two you're unconscious and all three you're dead. The current stat determines skill modifiers, so your awesome +2 for having a 12 STR (Abilities are rolled on 2D6) becomes a -1 after taking 8 points of damage. For reference a Rifle does 3D6+success margin damage (referring to Mongoose Traveller here).

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
ok, sometimes people use knowledge which is already published with the given people doesn't ( or isn't ) aware / use the obvious knowledge that others are kind of ( does this make sense, ( I'm a little frenchie so by times I wonder whether my writings are accurate or so ?? ) )

:)

le Redoutable

As someone else already mentioned Traveller has been doing this since the 70s.
To give a bit more info: there are 3 physical stats - STR, DEX & END each of which can provide a modifier (positive or negative) to certain skills (very similar to how D&D does it). The exact implementation depends on the edition, but in general damage is applied either randomly or chosen by the player (or a bit of both) to these 3 physical stats. If one goes down to zero, you're considered wounded, two you're unconscious and all three you're dead. The current stat determines skill modifiers, so your awesome +2 for having a 12 STR (Abilities are rolled on 2D6) becomes a -1 after taking 8 points of damage. For reference a Rifle does 3D6+success margin damage (referring to Mongoose Traveller here).
look out for this passage :

ok, so there is need for only one stat ( to generate Damage Protection ) : hp
hp ------- dr
1 ---- 1
3 ---- 2
6 ---- 3
10 ---- 4
15 ---- 5
21 ---- 6
28 ---- 7
105 -- 14
120 -- 15
etc

le Redoutable

then, I'm asking myself if I shall edit my Original Post ( First Post in this Thread ( or Topic ) ) to clarify things ( because newcomers don't read the full data ) )

??

aramis erak

Legend
makes me think of WarHammer 1st Ed ...
Not really - WFRP doesn't do what you're attempting - the damage reduction stat (T) doesn't (normally) drop from damage, the damage production stat (S) doesn't drop from damage, and the damage capacity stat (W) does nothing else. Crits can reduce S or T, but at that point, the character's already pretty close to dead. All the games I know that use a damage reduction from attributes don't use stat based damage reduction.

Traveller doesn't modify damage done for stats, only the to hit. Current is used for to hit mods (STR for melee, DEX for Ranged.) The actual score for mods varied by weapon. Many GM's ignored this due to simplification.

YZE doesn't reduce damage directly by stats; melee is opposed rolls, so there is indirect effect, since the dice pool is sized by current attribute. Note tho', Alien and T2K4 are HP derived from stats, and not damage to stats; Mutant Year Zero is 1 stat per damage type; melee is opposed rolls, so damage to Str for melee damage does increase opponent damage slightly. Given that atts run 2-5, slight changes aren't actually minor...

Tunnels and Trolls normally marks damage against Con, but bases damage upon Strength, Dexterity, and Luck. Damage is opposed rolls. Damage resistance is entirely worn armor. I'm using the 5E rules, since I know them best, and the PDF is available. Oversized weapons and spell casting do damage Strength, and current is used for allowed weapons and for combat adds... Note that T&T does not roll to hit in melee - straight to rolling damage. The higher damage total does the difference to the lower. Monsters often use "Monster Rating" (MR). Damage total is (MR/10)d6+MR/2; the example in page 1.7.2 makes it clear current MR is used. This makes MR critters who lose round 1 rapidly start dropping, with later turns lacking any real threat. I'll note that many GMs don't reduce monsters for MR damage and don't reduce ST for combat adds for fatigue on ST from spells. Note that allowed weapons have Str, Dex, and hands requirements; sum them to figure out if you can use them. Armor has Str requirements; these are separate from the weapon requirements. Encumbrance limit is based upon ST as well... Many GMs don't modify for current on allowed weapons, allowed armor, and allowed encumbrance; this is often for simplicity.

The Fantasy Trip has 3 stats: Strength, Dexerity, IQ. Damage is marked against Str. Damage delivered is modified by Str, but damage taken is only reduced by armor. It was explicit in Melee 1E (The combat rules & boardgame) that weapon damage does NOT reduce for ST damage. (Melee, p. 4)

Many early games use a damage capacity equal to a stat, but do not reduce said stat for game purposes. This includes Starships & Spacemen (1978), RuneQuest (HP=Size+Con),

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
What's the game I'm thinking about that has conditions that correlate to stats, and when something bad happens (to you) you check off a condition, which in turn inhibits the usefulness of that stat. Sometimes there's a specific one you have to check, and other times you get to pick.

So, for example, if you are Exhausted you make all Constitution rolls with disadvantage. Or something like that.

I've been exploring/reading a lot of different systems lately, but haven't played most of them.

le Redoutable

Not really - WFRP doesn't do what you're attempting - the damage reduction stat (T) doesn't (normally) drop from damage, the damage production stat (S) doesn't drop from damage, and the damage capacity stat (W) does nothing else. Crits can reduce S or T, but at that point, the character's already pretty close to dead. All the games I know that use a damage reduction from attributes don't use stat based damage reduction.

Traveller doesn't modify damage done for stats, only the to hit. Current is used for to hit mods (STR for melee, DEX for Ranged.) The actual score for mods varied by weapon. Many GM's ignored this due to simplification.

YZE doesn't reduce damage directly by stats; melee is opposed rolls, so there is indirect effect, since the dice pool is sized by current attribute. Note tho', Alien and T2K4 are HP derived from stats, and not damage to stats; Mutant Year Zero is 1 stat per damage type; melee is opposed rolls, so damage to Str for melee damage does increase opponent damage slightly. Given that atts run 2-5, slight changes aren't actually minor...

Tunnels and Trolls normally marks damage against Con, but bases damage upon Strength, Dexterity, and Luck. Damage is opposed rolls. Damage resistance is entirely worn armor. I'm using the 5E rules, since I know them best, and the PDF is available. Oversized weapons and spell casting do damage Strength, and current is used for allowed weapons and for combat adds... Note that T&T does not roll to hit in melee - straight to rolling damage. The higher damage total does the difference to the lower. Monsters often use "Monster Rating" (MR). Damage total is (MR/10)d6+MR/2; the example in page 1.7.2 makes it clear current MR is used. This makes MR critters who lose round 1 rapidly start dropping, with later turns lacking any real threat. I'll note that many GMs don't reduce monsters for MR damage and don't reduce ST for combat adds for fatigue on ST from spells. Note that allowed weapons have Str, Dex, and hands requirements; sum them to figure out if you can use them. Armor has Str requirements; these are separate from the weapon requirements. Encumbrance limit is based upon ST as well... Many GMs don't modify for current on allowed weapons, allowed armor, and allowed encumbrance; this is often for simplicity.

The Fantasy Trip has 3 stats: Strength, Dexerity, IQ. Damage is marked against Str. Damage delivered is modified by Str, but damage taken is only reduced by armor. It was explicit in Melee 1E (The combat rules & boardgame) that weapon damage does NOT reduce for ST damage. (Melee, p. 4)

Many early games use a damage capacity equal to a stat, but do not reduce said stat for game purposes. This includes Starships & Spacemen (1978), RuneQuest (HP=Size+Con),
grmpf! have you read the edit: from post #1 ?
it is said that D.P. should finally get based on hp rather than stats;
for example you have 60 hp ===> D.P. = 10;
if you suffer 9hp dmg it is absorbed by DP and DP is not reduced;
then you take 20 dmg ===> 10+9 drops you to DP 8, with 1 point absorbed by DP

damage rules from Into the Odd

Damage: When an individual takes Damage they lose that many hp. If they have no hp left, they are wounded, and any remaining Damage is removed from their STR score. They must then pass a STR Save to avoid Critical Damage.

Critical Damage: A character that takes Critical Damage is unable to take further action until they are tended to by an ally and have a Short Rest. If they are left for an hour without being tended to, they die.

Ability Score Loss: If a character has their STR score reduced to zero they are dead. If their DEX or WIL are reduced to zero the character is paralysed or mentally broken respectively, and cannot act until they have a Full Rest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads