• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What if you could be a fan object?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Think back to some industry, occupation, or project you were involved in 5+ years ago. What if there was a moderate-sized fan base for it, and some of the fans came to you and asked you to participate in some minor aspect -- guest appearance, Web forum question and answer, anything. Would you be willing to participate? Is there some project that you would not want to be a part of again, as a "fan object"? What was it? And why stay out of it now?

Bullgrit

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I can't really think of much I've done that is really fan-worthy.

In trying to force something, maybe people just loved the yearbook I was Editor-in-Chief of in college and want me to talk about my experiences doing it. I would probably decline. Why? It was a long time ago, things have changed a lot since I did it, and I am not really big on living in the past. This last point is the big one for me; it is also probably the reason I don't bother with things like high school or college reunions: I have kept in touch with some friends from those days, but don't have any desire to rehash the past with people I haven't spoken with in years.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I was a minor celebrity in my home town (not a big place or anything) after doing several local plays an winning a couple of regional theater competitions. I never had a fan base or anything like that, but I would get recognised by people on the street.

Due to a few of the roles I took, I got a reputation about certain aspects of my personal life that wasn't really a positive thing. It's one of the main reasons I stopped acting at the time.

I'm considering joining a theatre group again, now that I've moved away but have been putting it off. I'm not sure I'd do something related to acting again in my home town, but I don't think it would be a problem to do a guest appearance or promotional thing. I don't think it would happen, however.

takyris

First Post
I talk at local conventions about game design. Because I'm a BioWare person, that gives me a certain level of street cred, and when I ran a D&D game, it was referred to as "Celebrity D&D with Patrick Weekes".

It didn't bug me, because, while people were very polite and occasionally threw me off with praise and respect that I in no way deserved, nobody was ever weird or creepy about it.

That's definitely small-pond territory, though, and I figure that the likelihood of creepy behavior increases as the pond gets larger.

For what it's worth, I'd do it. Enjoy the 15 minutes of fame. It's usually fun, a nice little ego-boost, and, provided that you're respectful and humble yourself, doesn't hurt anybody.

Mycanid

First Post
Ya know ... I am not really a person who has done "fan worthy" things either....

One of the nice things about being a comp tech is that in a certain sense you are "just another number". :D

I have been around famous personages ... prolly none anyone in here would know ... and have always been delighted to discover how simple and normal human beings they are. :D

I know why you ask (the Roger E Moore thing), but really, unless you are in that situation, can you truly speculate?
I played a concert with 30k+ people playing percussion for the 70s mega-group Heatwave at a concert, the next day I was "Mr Quinten's dad".... I'ts hard not to stay grounded when life slaps you in the face. :)

Would I give a lecture on percussion if asked - no. Why? Becuase I play, I don't teach, in fact, after that time, I took lessons to improve my skills. Often times, the personal reasons regarding the situations outweigh the professional ones.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am, in the real world, by virtue of my job. It's a pretty awkward and uncomfortable place to be, although occasionally it gives you a pulpit to do something you feel good about (like encouraging middle school kids to work toward college after graduation).

But the weird gossip and outright lies about me (and other people in my position) range from amusing to disconcerting to outright hurtful, and it all gets old pretty quickly. Still, it's my job and it's one I feel passionately about, so I just suck it up and keep plugging along.

When I left my last job, it was mentioned on Internet computer game fansites, some of them pretty major. Again, flattering but highly disconcerting.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fact of the matter: sometimes people just aren't comfy in the spotlight, regardless of their achievements.

Being in the limelight has been pretty much a non-issue for me, so far...though I've had times in my life when, but for a decision or two, things could have gone very differently (I could have been a professional classical musician, for instance).

I don't think I'd consent to be a part of something huge, but perhaps a small dinner party or some such would be possible.

death tribble

First Post
I am a Tribble which means women adore me already and I purr affectionately and make them happy. So less of What if and more like I am a fan object.

Unless you are a Klingon.

Sound of Azure said:
I was a minor celebrity in my home town (not a big place or anything) after doing several local plays an winning a couple of regional theater competitions. I never had a fan base or anything like that, but I would get recognised by people on the street.

Due to a few of the roles I took, I got a reputation about certain aspects of my personal life that wasn't really a positive thing. It's one of the main reasons I stopped acting at the time.

I'm considering joining a theatre group again, now that I've moved away but have been putting it off. I'm not sure I'd do something related to acting again in my home town, but I don't think it would be a problem to do a guest appearance or promotional thing. I don't think it would happen, however.

What was your home town originally? Was it in SA? Do you think that I would recognise you? And there's a possibility that you might recognise me if you saw me. (No I'm not stalking you, I swear! ;) :D )

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads