• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What if you had to learn to use weapons?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It might be worth pointing out that attunement requirements are also transferred.
OK, so it takes an extra day for each one. You're already attuned to the destination weapon (the Sunblade); all you need to do is attune to each new source weapon as it comes along. Easy to do during downtime....

Yeah, this is why I added "With your DM's permission". I don't want to limit a weapon to doing this only once because you should be able to upgrade the same weapon to +1, then +2, then +3 (by finding a +3 weapon; not by finding addition +1 weapons!).
As written, "transferring all the properties" to give the "combined properties" to the destination weapon means merging a +1 weapon with another +1 weapon would give a +2. And when I find four more +1 weapons over the next few adventures I'll end up with a +6...which given 5e's math might be a little bit on the overkill side.
But stacking of abilities should never happen without your DM's explicit permission. Combining magical features is not necessarily overpowered, but it does certainly raise the effective rarity of a magical weapon.
Better to leave this clause right out of the players' hands and instead put it in the DMG, I think.

Lanefan

Remove ads