• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

Weiley31

Legend
I've been really enjoying the changes, and will be adding some to my game, particularly the weapons to spice up combat. But something I wanted to highlight was how it basically treats class/background as a proficiency. A wizard would get their proficiency bonus to identify a wizard spell regardless of Arcana proficiency, but advantage if they have Arcana. I was playing Karlach and noted when she got advantage for Barbairan Athletics to rip a door off its hinges. It kind of reminded me of the core aspect of Fate.
That is actually hella cool!

Stalker0

Legend
Apparently one of the changes made to the Monk in this is that they gain an extra Ki point per level. Or something.
It’s likely also:

1) because speed is rigorously checked, it matters a lot. I can’t tell you how many times 2 more feet would have let me get into melee.

2) short rests are very easy and therefore very common. So warlocks and monks are innately stronger in such circumstances

It’s likely also:

1) because speed is rigorously checked, it matters a lot. I can’t tell you how many times 2 more feet would have let me get into melee.

2) short rests are very easy and therefore very common. So warlocks and monks are innately stronger in such circumstances
1) In my experience, most people play in TOTM or use a grid. It's going to be rare that movement is that granular.
2) Rests are entirely campaign dependent though. One hour is a LONG time when you're in a dungeon/enemy territory, and meaningless when you're in a wilderness being pulled in a wagon. Limiting them to 2 per long rest (bards give an extra short rest) and them taking essentially no time is a good move towards establishing pacing expectations. It's still mildly irritating that everyone has to rest at the same time though, and we've run into situations in our multiplayer game where someone needs to and another person doesn't so its a debate on whether to use a party resource. Simply letting everyone choose when to eat their cookie would be better.

Stalker0

Legend
1) In my experience, most people play in TOTM or use a grid. It's going to be rare that movement is that granular.
2) Rests are entirely campaign dependent though. One hour is a LONG time when you're in a dungeon/enemy territory, and meaningless when you're in a wilderness being pulled in a wagon. Limiting them to 2 per long rest (bards give an extra short rest) and them taking essentially no time is a good move towards establishing pacing expectations. It's still mildly irritating that everyone has to rest at the same time though, and we've run into situations in our multiplayer game where someone needs to and another person doesn't so its a debate on whether to use a party resource. Simply letting everyone choose when to eat their cookie would be better.
I'm confused, this is a baldur's gate 3 thread, we are talking about how the game plays in BG3, not in regular dnd.

I'm confused, this is a baldur's gate 3 thread, we are talking about how the game plays in BG3, not in regular dnd.
You are 100% right, and I got sidetracked. Movement definitely matters more in BG due to the granularity. It also reminds me that I need to remember to use more difficult terrain.

Vael

Legend
One thing I haven't seen discussed here, but might be one of my favourites is how BG3 implemented Inspiration. They just made it a pool, and your background determines what actions in the game you take grant Inspiration. It's something that I kinda want figure out how to build into creating Backgrounds in OneDnD, like players would define things that would inspire them.

One thing I haven't seen discussed here, but might be one of my favourites is how BG3 implemented Inspiration. They just made it a pool, and your background determines what actions in the game you take grant Inspiration. It's something that I kinda want figure out how to build into creating Backgrounds in OneDnD, like players would define things that would inspire them.
We used to have a DM that would grant inspiration randomly through our roleplaying and also grant them if we finished one of our character's objectives. These were all pooled as group dice, so anyone could use them at any time. It was a fun way to gain interaction between players.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads