• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Interests You Non-Upgraders

What 3.X products would you be interested in after 4E's launch?

• Adventures

Votes: 83 55.3%
  • Locations/Small Settings (towns, caves, etc)

Votes: 66 44.0%
  • Campaign Settings/Large Settings (countries, planes, etc)

Votes: 45 30.0%
  • Races/Classes/Feats/Spells

Votes: 38 25.3%
  • Monsters

Votes: 46 30.7%
  • Traps

Votes: 31 20.7%
  • Other (see below

Votes: 21 14.0%
  • I am not interested in purchasing additional 3.x products.

Votes: 44 29.3%

Treebore

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I'd probably be interested in Campaign Settings--I almost always am--but honestly, the true answer is that I probably have most everything I need.

Thats been true for me for over 10 years. I still keep buying the new fangled stuff. Gotta stop doing that.

ivocaliban

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Chances are, once 4E is out, the only D&D-related products I'll be buying will be 3rd-party stuff for 3.x.

I pretty much feel the same way.

I really want to pick up all the Conan 2nd edition stuff from Mongoose Publishing. I keep wondering if they're mad as hell that this 3.5e launch came at just about the same time WotC announced 4th edition. Hopefully they'll continue to support it "as is," but I imagine the pressure to move with the times is great.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
ivocaliban said:
I pretty much feel the same way.

I really want to pick up all the Conan 2nd edition stuff from Mongoose Publishing. I keep wondering if they're mad as hell that this 3.5e launch came at just about the same time WotC announced 4th edition. Hopefully they'll continue to support it "as is," but I imagine the pressure to move with the times is great.

Yeah, that Conan 2e book looks very sexy. I've had to hold off on buying it due to. . . well, the job loss being a big part of it, though. . . I don't think that Mongoose will support it once 4x comes out. For this reason, I'm sticking to currently 'complete' game lines (e.g., Scarred Lands) and self-contained games (e.g., Mars) that do not need continuing product support.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Qualidar said:
I guess they may duel-stat stuff.
Some of the PDF/POD publishers saying they're going to dual stat stuff until the market decides which they should support. All of the larger publishers plans, at least those that I have heard, are that they plan on exclusively supporting the new version.

Qualidar said:
2) We're talking about big publishers and not small home-grown shops.

I would imagine a small-time publisher could really carve out a niche as "the 3.5" guy here.
I'm not assuming any of the larger publishers will be supporting 4.0. But someone is bound to say, "Hey, there's an unfulfilled market there with the 3.x crowd," and start a company (or dedicate their existing company) that only to 3.x only products.

Last edited:

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Adventures, especially psionic oriented adventures, or adventures supporting using the alternative systems that came late in 3e (like the Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum, and Tome of Battle).

Adventure Sites/Encounters, like 2e's City/Castle/Country Guides, or Penumbra's EnRoute series.

NPC stats in the style of the 1e Rogues Gallery. This is also one of the first 4e supplements I'd like to see.

At this point, I see the need more for supporting the homebrewer, than those who want pregenerated stuff. So more tools, essentially.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
GuardianLurker said:
...or adventures supporting using the alternative systems that came late in 3e (like the Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum, and Tome of Battle).

I wish that were possible. Only problem: none of this is OGL. Trust me, I'd love to write about a binder NPC.

GuardianLurker said:
At this point, I see the need more for supporting the homebrewer,

Hmmm... *scratches chin*

I stopped buying D&D supplements quite some time ago, and see no reason to start again after 4.0 is released. However, I might consider Compendiums. The trouble is, most of the stuff I'd want compilations of is non-OGL. I'd love to see a Classes and Prestiege Classes compendium, a Feats compendium, a truly complete Spell compendium, etc. My biggest complaint with the Spell Compendium was that more spells were published after it was released. Now that all the material is basically finished, this would be the perfect time to publish compendiums. Unfortunately, WOTC doesn't seem likely to do this, and a 3rd-party company probably couldn't get permission for the venture.

As for adventures and locations, all my games use homebrew settings. The most fun part for me as a DM is creating these, so I have no interest in buying someone else's.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I voted Other. If 4e meets my approval, I will not care about any additional 3.x materials. That's not to say that I might not still try to run a lot of the stuff I have, but I won't be in the market for new materials.

If 4e does not meet my fancy, then more adventures are my top choice.

(oops, I forgot that this question was addressed to non-upgraders)

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I voted "not interested" because I have more than enough 3.5 material than I will ever be able to use.

The only new 3.5 products that would interest me will never be produced, ie, more WotC compendiums for 3.5.

Khairn

First Post
Any and all of the above.

The more we see of the direction that WotC is taking with 4E, the more my gaming groups and I realize its completely out of touch with what we are looking for when it comes to D&D rules & support.

Since none of the major publishers have stated any clear intent to support those players who don't jump on the 4E bandwagon, we've decided to stock up on 3.5 gaming goodies while the prices are good. But if any of them made a clear decision to support us, I know we'd support them in return.

Remove ads