• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a "Basic Attack" (Melee Basic Attack)?

Callahan09

Explorer
I know this is probably about as dumb of a question as it gets, but I keep seeing the term "Melee Basic Attack" in my readings, such as in the description of an opportunity attack, and I have no idea how to actually perform one.

As far as I can tell, all attack actions are actually powers being used. That said, I can't find any power called "Melee Basic Attack" or "Basic Attack" in the D&DI Compendium.

Looking up "Basic Attack" in the Glossary gives me this:

When a power or other effect allows a creature to make a basic attack, the creature can make either a melee basic attack or a ranged basic attack. If the power or other effect specifically calls for a melee basic attack or a ranged basic attack, the creature must use that type. For instance, a power might read, “Each ally within 5 squares of you can make a basic attack as a free action,” which means each of those allies can make either a melee or a ranged basic attack, and they can each do so as a free action, rather than a standard action.
Some classes provide alternatives to these default powers, and each monster has its own basic attack power, which is noted in its stat block with a circle around the power’s icon.
A creature uses a melee basic attack to make an opportunity attack or to make a charge attack. Even if it has no weapon equipped, it can make a melee basic attack using an unarmed strike (such as a kick or punch) or another improvised weapon.
A creature can make a ranged basic attack as long as it has something to throw or shoot. Even if it has no ranged weapon equipped, it can make a ranged basic attack using an improvised weapon. If it makes the attack using a weapon that has the heavy thrown property, the attack uses the creature’s Strength instead of Dexterity for the attack roll and the damage roll.

Looking up melee attack in the compendium, I get this:

Targeted: Melee attacks target individuals. A melee attack against multiple enemies consists of separate attacks, each with its own attack roll and damage roll. Melee attacks don’t create areas of effect.

Range: A melee attack’s range usually equals your melee reach. (Sometimes a power specifies that it affects only adjacent targets, though, so even if you’re using a reach weapon, you can’t attack more distant targets with that power.)

Reach: Most characters have a reach of 1 square. Certain powers, feats, and weapons can increase your reach.

But what exactly is a basic attack? How do I know what to roll, what modifiers to use, what to check against, how much damage it does, etc.?

I'm sorry if this is a really basic question that I should know the answer to, but I just can't find the information for some reason.

drothgery

First Post
Melee basic attack is your "I'm not using a power." melee attack (though the D&Di character builder will make a melee basic attack power card for you).

Callahan09

Explorer
Thanks for the response.

But without using the character builder tool, where can I look up the details of the attack (attack roll, damage roll, etc)? Is it the same for all classes or different? Is there a book and page number I can be directed to?

Attack roll is d20 + half your level + Strength (for melee or for heavy thrown) or Dexterity (for light thrown and other ranged) + weapon proficiency modifier + any pertinent bonuses from magic items, feats, or powers

Damage is 1 weapon die (1[w]) + whichever ability score you added to your attack roll, plus whatever magic items, feats, and powers might grant. This increases to 2[w]+ability mod at 21st level.

I'm sure basic attacks are listed somewhere in the book. In the first Player's Handbook, I think they were in the combat section. I'm not sure about in the 'Heroes of...' books.

Callahan09

Explorer
Attack roll is d20 + half your level + Strength (for melee or for heavy thrown) or Dexterity (for light thrown and other ranged) + weapon proficiency modifier + any pertinent bonuses from magic items, feats, or powers

Damage is 1 weapon die (1[w]) + whichever ability score you added to your attack roll, plus whatever magic items, feats, and powers might grant. This increases to 2[w]+ability mod at 21st level.

I'm sure basic attacks are listed somewhere in the book. In the first Player's Handbook, I think they were in the combat section. I'm not sure about in the 'Heroes of...' books.

Thanks for the info! That was very helpful. Is it my imagination, or is there no entry in the D&D Insider Compendium database that covers the stats for a basic attack as you've described? It seems like an oversight on their part, or else perhaps I just missed it.

Perhaps a stupid question as well, but is the attack roll vs the enemy's AC? Or does it depend on whether it's melee or ranged, light thrown, or heavy thrown?

Gryph

First Post
Thanks for the info! That was very helpful. Is it my imagination, or is there no entry in the D&D Insider Compendium database that covers the stats for a basic attack as you've described? It seems like an oversight on their part, or else perhaps I just missed it.

Perhaps a stupid question as well, but is the attack roll vs the enemy's AC? Or does it depend on whether it's melee or ranged, light thrown, or heavy thrown?

Basic Attacks are always against enemy AC.

Last edited:

Callahan09

Explorer
Thanks for all the help, guys! You've done me a great service. I definitely understand it now. I also discovered that in the Rules Compendium, page 239, the basic attacks (melee & ranged) are displayed in power card format.

Any idea why I can't find those in the D&D Insider Compendium? Would have been a great help to me earlier today when I didn't have my Rules Compendium with me. Perhaps I just failed to find it somehow, but I did try.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Probably a mix of "we didn't really get to it" and "we didn't really thing anyone would want to look this up, since it's not exactly a power."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads